WEIRD or ODD Eggs pics!!!! :)

Pics
Anyone know what these rough spots are caused by? She used to lay blueish green eggs with white spots but now all we get are these with rough patches.

I have one that always lays eggs that have that. Another one does occasionally. I think they're just calcium deposits. They certainly don't seem to hurt anything.

Sarahswank
The whole story is at this link: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/757759/slow-emptying-crop-with-x-ray-picture

I C&P part of the story here:
I have a partridge Brahma hen about 18 months old. She presented with a hard crop about golf ball size. No other problems and laying as usual. In the morning she still had the hard crop. It was a bit softer but not empty. I separated her two days and fed only water with a bit of epson salt and maas ( type of unflavoured yogurt) I massaged her crop and it went down and emptied after 2 days. Hoped that the problem was over and let her be with the other chickens. After a few days I noticed that we are back at square one. She had again a hard crop in the morning. I isolated her again and only fed maas and water with a bit of ACV. I also gave her 2.5 ml of olive oil. Two days later the crop is softer but not fixed. This is not sour crop as there is no foul smell.
This morning I took her to the vet. He cut open the crop and emptied it. He also took an x-ray. Normal crop contents and normal lining of the crop. Only thing I am not sure about is the amount of grit in her gizzard. I think that there is a lot of grit in her gizzard- more that what is "normal"?

This hen is now broody again and sitting on eggs. She seems to keep on gulping her food down as if she is brooding even when she is not sitting.
She took that whole drama in her stride and I decided that that seems to be how she is.

I have one that always lays eggs that have that. Another one does occasionally. I think they're just calcium deposits. They certainly don't seem to hurt anything.

Agreed... just calcium deposits. A couple of my girls will occasionally lay eggs like this too. Completely harmless :)

Love the x-ray showing the egg. Awesome! Hope your girl sorts out her crop issue.

That is an awesome picture (x-ray). You are lucky to have a veterinarian that will see chickens. It looks like the hen was lying on her left side when this was taken. I can clearly see the crop, and the gizzard is the thing with all the little pieces in it, right? Was the x-ray taken before the crop surgery? Was she sedated? Is she better now?
Hens sure do devote a large portion of their innards to that egg. Wow.

Back
Top Bottom