WEIRD or ODD Eggs pics!!!! :)

Pics
I had a hen named Penny that laid funky shaped eggs every single day of her laying life. After 2 years, she went into a major molt and hasn't laid an egg in 6 months. I think she's turned egg bound or just having a super long molt. I'm not sure. She lives at someone else's house now but I've been trying to monitor her for them. Her eggs were pointy most of the time with weird ridges and spots and if I let her eat anything but Purina Layena, her eggs would come out soft and yucky. Ok so we ate those weird shaped hard shell eggs just like any other egg. Never tasted weird or were rotten or anything. Just weird shaped and never same shape every day. I wish I had taken pictures of some but I didn't. If she starts laying again I'll take some photos. Of course, when in question, don't eat it! Add it to your tomato bed or compost pile.

Carla

I understand that unusual eggs are common from new layers. however, once they're established layers, how often do these funky eggs occur? m a new chicken owner and to be truthful, looking at these freakish things is sort of turning my stomach. Do you always crack a fresh egg into a separate bowl in fear something funky will be inside? I'm afraid my husband, who is a picky eater will have a hard time eating fresh eggs if he ever sees something abnormal on or in an egg.
Does anyone else feel this way? Do you get over it?
Don't be too creeped out. LOL These are occasional eggs and doesn't happen very often. In your flock of birds, you may never see such things. Although, since joining on BYC 2 years ago and having seen tons of pics like these, I ALWAYS open an egg with caution, however I have never found anything funky inside an egg. Yet. (knock on wood. LOL)

Don't be too creeped out. LOL These are occasional eggs and doesn't happen very often. In your flock of birds, you may never see such things. Although, since joining on BYC 2 years ago and having seen tons of pics like these, I ALWAYS open an egg with caution, however I have never found anything funky inside an egg. Yet. (knock on wood. LOL)
I didn't take a pic of this egg I got from my Jersey Giant hen it was really big but the shell was very thin it was a wonder it didn't break when she had it. But any way I opened it and it had a regular yolk and a strange tan yolk inside I should have took a pic. a few days before my daughter brought her two boxers up and let them lose of course right to the chicken coops they went and ran around and around so I was wondering if that had anything to do with it.

MarcoPollo

The vet was clueless that's way we took the x-ray
duc.gif
. The whole story at this link: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/757759/slow-emptying-crop-with-x-ray-picture. There you will also be able to see what came out of her crop.
She is doing well but every so often I starve her for a day - only water and Maas for the day just to keep her from giving me problems.

She was sedated for the surgery.
Veterinarians where I live do not know much about chickens either. I have never seen a chicken x-ray before, so thanks for posting that. She had a lot of stuff in that crop! I think chickens are amazing with how they take the food they eat and form an egg out of it. It's no surprise that a few eggs get all messed up every now and then. These pictures are very interesting.

Veterinarians where I live do not know much about chickens either. I have never seen a chicken x-ray before, so thanks for posting that. She had a lot of stuff in that crop! I think chickens are amazing with how they take the food they eat and form an egg out of it. It's no surprise that a few eggs get all messed up every now and then. These pictures are very interesting.
I love my vet I bet he would come out to the car. He takes care of all animals big and small. It's Dr. Pol that's on TV

I understand that unusual eggs are common from new layers. however, once they're established layers, how often do these funky eggs occur? m a new chicken owner and to be truthful, looking at these freakish things is sort of turning my stomach. Do you always crack a fresh egg into a separate bowl in fear something funky will be inside? I'm afraid my husband, who is a picky eater will have a hard time eating fresh eggs if he ever sees something abnormal on or in an egg.
Does anyone else feel this way? Do you get over it?

I would just try and make sure he doesn't see any weird eggs if you can help it. If it happens, keep it between you & the girls. ;)

Back
Top Bottom