WEIRD or ODD Eggs pics!!!! :)

I don't have a picture, but I'm thinking this post belongs here? I had a girl lay an egg today that had no shell. All the other eggs in the nestbox were covered in yolk and there was a small clump of rubbery membrane in the box that I'm assuming was the "shell". Every other egg from my girls is normal and healthy. Just a fluke? Probably a first egg from one of my new Marans?  Nothing to worry about?

To follow up to this, it has happened again twice this week. Just like last time every other egg is perfect. There is yolk on the perfect eggs and a condom like membrane in the box.

I don't know which girl is laying the shell-less eggs, but I'm assuming it's one of the younger hens. This has happened 3 times in five weeks. Reason for concern? Or just chickens?

To follow up to this, it has happened again twice this week. Just like last time every other egg is perfect. There is yolk on the perfect eggs and a condom like membrane in the box.

I don't know which girl is laying the shell-less eggs, but I'm assuming it's one of the younger hens. This has happened 3 times in five weeks. Reason for concern? Or just chickens?

In a young pullet I would say no worries. My silkie laid 6 or so rubber eggs durring her first few months of laying. As long as there is nothing else unusual and you dont see any dirty bums it is no cause for concern. Just a hen with a glitch in her system that will work itself out eventually. My gal still lays the occasional rubber egg but usualy its because she is an overachiever and tried to lay 2 in one day. Happens a couple times a year now. You can post a pic if you are worried but I really dont think it is a problem. She will grow out of it.

In a young pullet I would say no worries. My silkie laid 6 or so rubber eggs durring her first few months of laying. As long as there is nothing else unusual and you dont see any dirty bums it is no cause for concern. Just a hen with a glitch in her system that will work itself out eventually. My gal still lays the occasional rubber egg but usualy its because she is an overachiever and tried to lay 2 in one day. Happens a couple times a year now. You can post a pic if you are worried but I really dont think it is a problem. She will grow out of it.

One gal has a dirty bum. Acts healthy as can be, eats, dust bathes, is super friendly...I've put her on Corrid.

One gal has a dirty bum. Acts healthy as can be, eats, dust bathes, is super friendly...I've put her on Corrid.

I'd agree it's a startup glitch. My Marans all laid weird eggs for a few rounds before getting it right. They were often tinted brown or even textured.
As for the dirty butt it can be a sign of problems but I have 2 hens and a roo who I swear never learned to poop. They just don't get their feathers out of the way. As long as it's not nasty poo I chalk it up to them being poor poppers. LOL

We just got a really neat colored egg. It's the middle one in the picture. Our Americana laid it, it was her first egg. Hopefully it stays that color!

We also had an egg with 3 yolks. It was huge. Bigger than our leg horns eggs.

Attachments

• 20170703_063241.jpg
    20170703_063241.jpg
    338.4 KB · Views: 14
  • 20170701_105731.jpg
    20170701_105731.jpg
    324.8 KB · Views: 13

Back
Top Bottom