Weird question - do chickens learn to mimic words?

You can faintly hear her say it at the end of the video. She's now taken up saying it when I call to Voodoo. It's pretty much the ONLY chirp she uses now. Except when I video it. It's one high and slightly drawn out chirp followed by a lower and quick chirp.

She now goes "oooh-oh" when I say Voodoo, or call to her, or she's happy, or eating, or roaming the yard, or anything to drive me insane. It was adorable the first six thousand times.

WHY WON'T SHE LET ME RECORD HER?!

I'm trying to decide if I'm reading too much into it or not. I like picking up my silkie and cooing at her. (making sure she's hand tamed for her new owner). I've been doing it a lot the last week and have noticed something strange. Her name is Doorbell. When I say "Hello Doorbell" I swear she goes "Dooor Bellll". Not like the actual words, but singing the sounds. She also responds to "hi" with a single chirp. I've been watching her today, and while she talks a lot, it seems she only makes those noises around me.

Is it possible for a chicken to learn to mimic humans? I'm thinking I just don't see her enough to hear all her sounds. She does talk a LOT. She does definitely use that specific chirp when I say her name, though.

I'm trying to decide if I'm reading too much into it or not. I like picking up my silkie and cooing at her. (making sure she's hand tamed for her new owner). I've been doing it a lot the last week and have noticed something strange. Her name is Doorbell. When I say "Hello Doorbell" I swear she goes "Dooor Bellll". Not like the actual words, but singing the sounds. She also responds to "hi" with a single chirp. I've been watching her today, and while she talks a lot, it seems she only makes those noises around me.

Is it possible for a chicken to learn to mimic humans? I'm thinking I just don't see her enough to hear all her sounds. She does talk a LOT. She does definitely use that specific chirp when I say her name, though.
They aren’t mimicking, they are actually communicating with you! Chickens- all animals do understand us, we just don’t understand them! We can teach our animals to communicate like we teach a child- with repetition and kindness, even with their limited voice boxes.

Remember Koko the gorilla who talked with sign language?

In the Garden of Eden all animals communicated with & were understood by Adam & Eve. One of God’s promises is a return to that way of life. How wonderful would that be!? And, He says we’ll all be vegans(human & animals alike). :old

Don't know about mimicing humans but I swear my alpha silkie roo mimics/parrots and talks to the crows and the woofing dogs up the road

Back
Top Bottom