Weird question - do chickens learn to mimic words?

A kid came knocking on my door a month or so ago, during turkey season anyway, to ask if he could hunt our property. I said yes and not to worry about our dogs, they're noisy but not biters. He said my dogs are his best helpers; when they bark the turkeys gobble, helping him to locate them. I don't know if the dogs and turkeys are communicating, or if the dogs irritate the gobblers and the turkeys are telling the dogs to shut up.

It is pretty clear to me that they imitate. When I go in the coop, I murmur to them; they murmur too. When dh goes in, he "bahk!!, bahk!!, bahk!!'s to them; they bahk!! too. It is very consistent and doesn't matter what time of day, what they were doing, or what we came to do.

Last edited:
I say "dut-dut-dut" When I want a hen to go down, sometimes they say "dut-dut-dut" back, but for all the years I have done that, they have all gone down for that.

I always call out, "Bab-ies" Then they know it is me and it is safe. and I just show up.

I have one hen I call "coco" a colubian wyandotte, she seems to always say "Coco." but most chickens say co-co alot.

I read some where chickens will say "Hawk-hawk-hawk" if they see a hawk. (chickens seem to like to say things in 3's. If I am in the yard and a crow flys by I say, "Hawk-hawk-hawk!" They all run to find a place to hide.

I say "Lok-lok-lok" if I have a treat, that is also what a rooster will say, and momma chickens say when they have food.

Trilling- "Wheeeeee" gentle and quiet is calming for them.

So funny that this post popped up, I was just wondering this. When I pick up Winnie I always say "who's my girllllll?" and I swear she always mimics the tones. After a while I even started saying more little things to her to see if she will mimic and she often does🤷‍♀️

Back
Top Bottom