Weird swollen thing behind earlobe. Tumor?

LhickenChicken

Free Ranging
Premium Feather Member
Jan 5, 2023
Rimbey, Alberta, Canada
My BPR, Kali, got a strange lump behind her earlobe. It started in December but I thought it was simply swollen because she got pecked, and that it was going to go away soon. But a week ago, I noticed that it got super huge.
In this photo, taken in December, you might be able to see it forming.

IMG_1577.JPG
Bad side
IMG_1951.JPG
Good side
IMG_1953.JPG
What is it? How to treat? It doesn't exactly seem like it's causing pain as much as annoyance. She keeps shaking her head.

Is the lump hard? If you probe the lump with a sterilized needle, look for pus inside the scab. It is possible that it could be a tumor, a type of skin cancer. Hopefully not, but I would check it.
It is hard. She hates me touching it, but I'll try poking around in the lump... I just don't want to hurt her because she fidgets and complains when I touch over there. What could cause a tumor if it is one? And what do you think it is?

It is hard. She hates me touching it, but I'll try poking around in the lump... I just don't want to hurt her because she fidgets and complains when I touch over there. What could cause a tumor if it is one? And what do you think it is?
If you have a helper to hold her, that's always best. Swaddle her in a thin piece of cloth or towel capturing her wings so she can't flap around. Then examine the swelling to see if there's a scab or place that looks like it's pus filled. Could be a feather follicle or two that's impacted or if she was pecked, it's become infected.

Chickens can get tumors just like any other animal. Some are cancerous, others not. Hopefully this is just swelling and pus from injury, since it's painful and tender.

If you have a helper to hold her, that's always best. Swaddle her in a thin piece of cloth or towel capturing her wings so she can't flap around. Then examine the swelling to see if there's a scab or place that looks like it's pus filled. Could be a feather follicle or two that's impacted or if she was pecked, it's become infected.

Chickens can get tumors just like any other animal. Some are cancerous, others not. Hopefully this is just swelling and pus from injury, since it's painful and tender.
I do have a helper that can hold her. It's just that she shakes her head and I can't really do anything about it. I looked at it on the roost, don't see any scabs...

Back
Top Bottom