Weird thing on ducks mouth

RJKnott

Songster
Mar 25, 2020
So my girl Arya, I noticed last night she had something sticking out of her mouth. Thought it was a leaf. But as I picked her up and checked her it looked like an abscess.

But when I opened her mouth it looks more like the skin inside her mouth stretched and is sticking out the side. It’s not filled with pus or anything and flattens out when she opens her mouth. Couldn’t get a great picture when she opened her mouth cause she was squirming too much.

Doesn’t seem to hurt her to the touch and she can eat and drink fine.
Anyone ever seen this before? Something to worry about?

Attachments

• IMG_2624.jpeg
    IMG_2624.jpeg
    506.7 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_2623.jpeg
    IMG_2623.jpeg
    124.6 KB · Views: 14
I have not but perhaps @ruthhope and/or @Miss Lydia has?
I found a thread with info about abcesses on ducks faces it's informative but i dont know if thats what you are dealing with. Here is it and I hope she will be fine .
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/crested-duck-with-lump-on-her-cheek.1556273/page-2
Thanks. I don’t think it’s an abscess, at least not one I’ve ever seen. When I can open her mouth that bubble is not filled with pus. It is more like an air pocket. And the skin there is dry and leathery.

It’s weird

Hi everyone, I have not seen anything like it. it appears to me to be a cyst -- fluid filled but not full of pus as an abscess would be.

I think its a wait and see unless a vet is an affordable and accessible option

Back
Top Bottom