Female duck not eating well - tube feeding questions

Pics

KCNC06

Crowing
14 Years
Sep 19, 2009
Central NC
I added possibly too much information, or too much not helpful information, about what's going on with my girl, Bill, under another thread about this subject...but not sure that's the way to get answers so I'm trying again. Here's where I posted yesterday. https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...ut-duck-not-interested-in-food.1607285/page-5

She's about 4.5 yrs old, eats but not enough. Drinks well. Her energy level is down but I suspect that may be from not eating enough. I'm with her 24/7 and can't really see any other symptoms that would point me towards a guess of what's causing her to not eat well. I've felt her belly, chest and kind of felt her throat, and can't feel anything that seems abnormal.

After reading the tube feeding instructions posts, I'm sure she needs to be tube fed. I have a tube feeding kit and should have the Kaytee formula today. I don't have Pedialyte or Gatorade but do have a product called Pet-a-lyte that I bought for our very old dog when he stopped eating (he was extremely old, so I don't think Bill's issues are related just frustrating timing). I'm not sure if there's anything in Pet-a-lyte that would be harmful to a duck though. (Pictures of the Pet-a-lyte label are attached.)

I also bought this product (https://www.chewy.com/oxbow-critical-care-omnivore-small/dp/704718) that was recommended on another site about tube feeding. Does it look like this would be safe?

I also had a question from the tube feeding instructions. I haven't had to tube feed anyone before so I'm a little nervous having my first attempt be with my absolute favorite best buddy duck. I read a post somewhere else that gave a diagram kind of thing of what to look for inside the duck's mouth. It showed the breathing hole in the middle, kind of big, and the hole to their crop on the duck's right side. In the instructions posts here, it seems to be mentioning the left side. Since I haven't looked in my duck's mouth yet, I don't know for sure what everything looks like, but obviously I don't want to try to stick the feeding tube in the wrong spot. I don't want to hurt or traumatize her, and definitely don't want to push anything into her lungs.

Also, I only have one feeding tube kit and I'm wondering if it's really single use. The links in the tube feeding instructions posts, links to tubes, seem like they're not good anymore. Not sure if it's just my phone's browser or if those companies stopped selling them. I did see something online about the red rubber catheter tubes being discontinued in 2021 but...I don't know if that's the same product. Anyway. The tubes in those links said something about single-use. I guessed that's because they were catheter tubes and obviously you want sterile catheters. The one video I was able to play, with the vet and the super cute drake, the vet just plopped the tube on the office floor so I'm guessing sterile isn't important.

Attachments

• KIMG1954~2.JPG
    KIMG1954~2.JPG
    450.1 KB · Views: 213
  • KIMG1955~2.JPG
    KIMG1955~2.JPG
    417.8 KB · Views: 0
If your facing your duck the hole you want to put the tube down will be on the left. Have you seen the tube feeding info on here? I sit my duck between my legs and hold onto her first V having another person hold the duck can help and gives you both hands to use. The feed you have will be fine to use.

If your facing your duck the hole you want to put the tube down will be on the left. Have you seen the tube feeding info on here? I sit my duck between my legs and hold onto her first V having another person hold the duck can help and gives you both hands to use. The feed you have will be fine to use.
I did watch the video (or videos? I've watched several but have lost track of where they all came from). Once I got her beak open, the glottis was very obvious. I tubed to her right and everything seemed to go smoothly. I'm hoping I understood the videos and anatomy drawings/pictures I've found. There's really just two "holes" in their throat right? The glottis is the big one in the middle with the slit that opens and closes when they breath, the other is their esophagus. Right?

I gave her one feeding last night. Thankfully I had someone to help me hold her. I used the Kaytee baby bird formula with one tsp of the Critical Care formula added to it. I'm pretty sure the experience was more traumatic for me than it was for her. Thankfully. I didn't give her a lot of the formula mix last night because I wasn't sure how it was going to go. She seemed to have more energy within an hour of the feeding which surprised me to the point that I'm still not sure if it was real or if I just imagined it.

I gave her another feeding this morning and it was a little less traumatic...for me. She didn't seem to mind much either. I should have a baby scale by tomorrow so hopefully that will make it easier for me to keep track of her weight. Do I just keep at it until she starts returning to normal eating and brattiness?

Most people seem to think I'm a nut for even trying this since she's "just a duck". But she's not just a duck to me, and as far as she's concerned she's whatever I am. Also, after losing our old dog last week I'm not willing to give up on anyone without a fight.

You are giving her every chance to get better. I had to learn to tube feed when one of my Runners was acting off and not eating It saved her life. I tube fed her 7 days before she was eating good enough for me to stop. I did it 2X a day 3X at the beginning.

Don't worry about what others think.
What are her symptoms besides not being hungry?
Yes the glottis is in the middle.

You are giving her every chance to get better. I had to learn to tube feed when one of my Runners was acting off and not eating It saved her life. I tube fed her 7 days before she was eating good enough for me to stop. I did it 2X a day 3X at the beginning.

Don't worry about what others think.
What are her symptoms besides not being hungry?
Yes the glottis is in the middle.
I'm so glad to hear tube feeding helped your runner! ❤️ And you actually answered one of the other questions I had but forgot to ask. I was curious about how many times a day and how often I should be doing tube feedings. She does eat on her own, she's just not eating enough. And she's being extra picky about what she eats. Baked salmon and green peas are her preferred foods the past few days. I don't want to over stuff her though. I'm guessing I just pay close attention to how much she's eating on her own and how much she's pooping after feedings?

I haven't really been able to put my finger on any other symptoms. And none of her sisters are acting off. She hasn't been as bratty and demanding, and seems a little sleepier than usual, but it seems that could be from not eating well couldn't it? I know I tend to get sleepier and overall yucky feeling when I go through phases where I'm not eating much.

I was thinking maybe she's just more sensitive to her "flock" (or family) being a little more stressed than usual and that stressed her out. The whole vibe in the house was off the past couple months with our dog's issues. She seemed to get more quiet when he took a turn towards the end. Her personality is still the same, just more low key.

I meant to say how sorry I am about you losing your dog. That is traumatic for everyone for sure.
Since she is eating some I would keep it at 2X a day and just watch her poop you don't want to overdo. Hopefully, the tube feeding will perk her up and she'll get back to eating more soon .

I meant to say how sorry I am about you losing your dog. That is traumatic for everyone for sure.
Since she is eating some I would keep it at 2X a day and just watch her poop you don't want to overdo. Hopefully, the tube feeding will perk her up and she'll get back to eating more soon .
Thank you so much. Our dog was almost 15 which is pretty old for a pit type dog. Towards the end he was having a great deal of trouble walking, keeping his legs under him took a lot of work so he would fall multiple times a day. The ducks started watching out for him and would run to keep out of his way so he wouldn't fall on them. Bill and the dog weren't cuddle close anymore but, being inside, they've been around each other every day since she hatched. I wondered if maybe her decreased appetite might be a sign that she's grieving. He kind of kept his distance from the ducks this past year, they liked to shaky neck pounce on him and he didn't feel up to playing. But the ducks definitely seemed aware that his poor old body was failing. All the ducks actually got a bit more quiet in the week or so before he passed. Bill's the only one who has had issues with eating though.

Oh wow, we have a mini Dachshund who turned 15 in December thankfully other than his eyesight isn't good and his hearing he seems to be in pretty good health. I sure am going to dread when he starts going down.
Could be they are grieving they do that when a flock member passes and most likely they thought of your dog as a member of their flock. Just keep up with what you are doing and hopefully, you'll get her through this. Keep watch for any other symptoms too.

Sorry she's sick and so soon after losing your dog too! :(

IME, ducks with infections can seem fine other than not eating enough. I've seen this with ducks with respiratory infections, throat infections, etc. It's difficult to detect that anything is wrong until you notice the eating less/losing weight.

It's possible it is due to grief and stress of things being different, but i'd try to get her to a bird/exotics vet if you can. If she doesn't perk up soon. They'll most likely prescribe antibiotics if there's nothing noticeable.

Sorry she's sick and so soon after losing your dog too! :(

IME, ducks with infections can seem fine other than not eating enough. I've seen this with ducks with respiratory infections, throat infections, etc. It's difficult to detect that anything is wrong until you notice the eating less/losing weight.

It's possible it is due to grief and stress of things being different, but i'd try to get her to a bird/exotics vet if you can. If she doesn't perk up soon. They'll most likely prescribe antibiotics if there's nothing noticeable.
Would it be unusual for one to get an infection like that and everyone else be ok? She has duck sisters with her, they all share the same food and water dishes and living space and no one else has anything going on. Everyone else has normal healthy appetites. I've been trying to find a vet but that seems to be easier said than done. Lots, and lots of dog and cat vets but so far none that treat ducks. I found one that treats birds but not ducks. The only one I know of isn't close and I don't particularly trust him. I had a less than good experience with him a couple years ago and then noticed that the majority of his 5-star reviews are from people saying he did a great job euthanizing their chicken or duck. 😳

Back
Top Bottom