7 yr welsh Harley weak & thin?

Jenbirdee

Expecting Miracles
Premium Feather Member
Aug 9, 2020
Maryland
Her name is cookie. The past few weeks, she just walks slow and goes hiding…(But I’ve seen her eating the water fowl feed with the other ducks) I gave her B complex a couple times it seem to help I gave her calcium gluconate a couple times not sure if it helped, I gave her nutridrench a couple of times as well. I think it helped. I also gave her five days of safeguard liquid goat dewormer to rule out worms. I had a fecal test done. She’s negative for the worms they tested for and She’s negative for Giardia. All my other ducks are fine. I’ve been following her around trying to see what her poop looks like. It’s kind of gooey clear like perhaps from egg.. so today again, I gave her B complex and calcium gluconate . One ml of each. . I didn’t see her eat anything yet today, so I’m going to make a mash for her. I’m considering tube feeding her later if she doesn’t eat today, because she just feels thin and lighter than she always was. however, if this is just old age and it’s her time, I don’t want to ruin her last days by shoving a tube down her throat two or three times a day. Any suggestions or advice?

It is just so hard to know what it could be old age or sick. If she doesn't eat I'd go for tube feeding a couple of times today and see if she perks up. When my Runner was sick and I have no idea what it was . But I did tube feed her and she finally after 5 days began to eat on her own. I can't see old age since I have some 12 yrs old that are still going strong. But I know every breed is different.
I hope she'll eat for you.

I added nutritional yeast to the feed mash. And I put the chickens and the teenage ducks in the other pen ( or they’ll scare her away from the mash bowl ) she just has a couple of her old lady friend ducks in here with her. I figure I’ll give her a few hours to see if the B complex kicks in, thanks for replying. Lol she doesn’t look very thin in this picture!!

In her first couple of years of life She had some issues and had to see a vet and take antibiotics for some kind of infection in her foot joint (which was not Bumblefoot ) so I thought that maybe can affect her future lifespan.

Attachments

• 0AD0415C-3989-4182-914D-4F2329589A56.jpeg
    0AD0415C-3989-4182-914D-4F2329589A56.jpeg
    488.6 KB · Views: 3
She is beautiful, those feathers hide how thin or overweight than can be. I hope the nutri drench gets her feeling better.
If she completely recovered from the infection I can't see where that would shorten her life. But I am not a vet.

Back
Top Bottom