emmagat

Songster
7 Years
Mar 29, 2013
Hi everyone! One of my easter egger hens, plus a couple of my others, have a weird toe that points upwards or in a weird direction. It’s always the back toe, and never any of the front 3 toes. Here’s some pictures so y’all can see what is going on with her little feet. Thank you all in advance!

CC76132A-498A-433C-B12F-C046239C96DB.jpeg
5CBBD209-63DA-4B04-857C-B66910993AE1.jpeg
37F8D2BF-C4EF-4877-A468-EE6F8A1C18AD.jpeg
C431A6FA-10F7-4F9A-B66C-563C92467FB0.jpeg

Interesting. What do your roosts look like?

Toe deformities can happen from improper incubation, vitamin deficiencies and injuries.

Our roosts are just round poles inserted into square shaped poles that are attached to the walls. We also have windowsills in the coop since it was originally a shed, and some of them like to perch on the windowsills since they’re higher than the roosts.

Did you hatch these out yourself? (same parentage)

No, this hen came from a hatchery and my others came from hatcheries and breeders so I don’t think it’s genetic. I don’t think it’s from birth either because it only started within the past few months. Could it be some form of bumble foot?

I have, but there doesn’t seem to be any signs of it so I’m not sure if that’s what it is or not. I’m hoping it’s just a deformity of some sort but I would think that deformities happen at birth.
Deformity would have been my first thought too, but it's interesting that you have it in several birds that aren't related.

Any changes to roosting bars, bedding or where they forage/range? I'm just not sure what's going on with those, if it doesn't seem to bother them, then I would just keep watch.

Back
Top Bottom