Welcome to my pond - Swim, wade, or sit on the bank

Theoretically you could do a test hatch, but I'm not sure I'd try it unless there was something outstanding about her you wanted to keep.

If her lower leg isn't bothering her, I'd leave it, if she's injuring it or dragging it and she's getting sores, amputation might be a good option.

Sorry...:oops:. It was the brain injury. I was so excited for her! She can do everything but roost. She can go up the ramp to the coop instead. Two questions: (1). I shouldn't raise chicks from her, right? (2). Should I have her leg remove from below the joint since she's about fully grown? It's useless to her.

Is this the crossbeak one, or different one? Was it from hatch or afterwards?

If the lower part of the leg is useless and it turns out at the joint, that is dangerous stress on it... I would've culled or amputated earlier actually... Peg is missing her lower leg bone completely so there's no joint stress... I mention joint stress cuz we have seen the damage it can cause and it is not pretty and can be extremely painful for them and they won't show it...

It happened when she was about three weeks old. Slipped tendon. I don't know if it was an injury or just happened. She doesn't drag it but I'm thinking the amputation and loss of the counter weight would help her balance and mobility. Or, is it worth the trauma? Mrs. Oz refused to let me put her down when she was little. She's really pretty I think . She's got very nice lacing.
Mrs. Oz did a great job trimming the other girl with the crossbeak. It's hardly noticeable now. We still had three AM pullets with no issues and one is a gorgeous black.

Ah, ok... later injury/issue... might be ok to try a test hatch then, but I would be worried about the rooster causing more damage by mounting her... I'd actually separate her from any roosters...

I've heard many have had success with amputation... could do that or at least maybe try a splint and tape her leg up so it stays straight? Would make her stiff legged, but might avoid that joint stress... or do that for a bit before amputation then she might be able to have a prosthetic attached... (really just a stick with a padded cup at the top strapped on)

I just don't mess around with joints anymore... in fact, one of my Blehm pullets popped hers out of socket the other day, we put her down immediately... hard to help something like that with an animal that spends at least 90% of their lives on their feet... :/

Back
Top Bottom