Well, darn it!

Jacky'sMamma

Songster
11 Years
May 16, 2008
Antelope, CA
My chickies are now 2.5 months old. Was told by the feed store that there was "less than 1% chance" that I would get roos from the Black Sex Link bin. Yeah, yeah.... ok quit laughin'! So we got 2 black sex link and they are BOTH roos!And here it is almost three months later and this morning I was sittin here minding my own business and someone in the chicken yard is trying their darndest to CROW!?!?!?!?!?
ep.gif

NOW WHAT?!?!?!?

It wouldn't be bad if I could HAVE roos, but the rules are less than 6 chickens and NO ROOS! I can't bare to part with 'em and don't want to start over with 2 new chickies (how will they get along with the older ones??)

What to do... what to do, with my roo...?

Oh man - I'm sorry. It's funny (not really) how often we get roos when we order pullets or get from the pullet bin. Unfortunately, sexing chicks just isn't a 100% perfect science.

I don't think you have any choice but to rehome them or eat them (sorry if that isn't something you'd do - just an option).

You could watch Craigslist in your area or your local feed store bulletin boards and see if you can find a couple of pullets that are closer to your others' age.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do. I know it will be hard to see these two boys go.

Jacky'sMamma,

Well if "the rules are...", then either break the rules, or you can post on the "Buy~Sell~Trade" forum. That's what I did, and am lucky enough to have found a good home for the birds that I can not keep. Maybe you can trade for a couple of hens?

I would not recommend breaking the rules, you might lose all you got, plus, face big fines, too. I would not recommend trying to keep two roos, anyway. Fighting, turmoil and general upheaveal, that would be a disaster with the potential for blood, etc.

So, I would say it's time to trade at least one and mostly likely two, and the sooner the better.

Good luck.

-Spence

sad.png

If you get some new chicks now, it won't take long for them to be the size your two months are, and you can easily add them together in about 6 weeks or so. My 3 month olds are being very kind to my 3 week olds, but I am still letting them do only short visits for now, I need a coop!

We are not very far from you , up in Grass Valley and our feed store takes the roos back. We don't get any money for them, but we don't have to deal with them either. I do try to post them on here first, but I haven't had a taker yet for any of the many roos we have had to rehome.

We have at 5 right now we are trying to find homes for. It is really hard. You should contact the feed store and find out if they take them back. Good luck!

Sorry about the roos i know how attached we all get to the sweeties and after 2 months having to let them go is so hard. Now i am really confused they say the sex links are different colors so how can you get roos instead of pullets? I have Red Sex Links and Golden comets you mean some of them could be roos? Oh please tell me NO. I have 1 roo that is quite enough. LOL Best wishes.
jumpy.gif
yippiechickie.gif
:weee:ya

Quote:
I don't know how they (sex links) work... when they were day olds they were all black with the exception of little white spots on their heads. Now they are black and white speckled and the combs and waddles are getting more and more pronounced. you can see pics of them here (bottom of the page): www.meetmyfamily.org/ckns2

Back
Top Bottom