Well Here it Is, 3 Hour "Quick Coop" PIC HEAVY!

Wow, it looks great! I love the gate idea and the buckets.. Looks like you ladies love it.. What is around the inside bottom and is it a dirt floor.. I think it's great..Dixie

Quote:
Its left over 12 inch masonite lap siding around the inside to keep the chips contained. The floor is 2 inch thick cinder blocks placed inside the assembled kennel. This way the kennel fits around the blocks and the tin comes all the way down to the ground on the outside. That way in a heavy rain the floor of the coop stays dry as it is essentially elevated a couple inches.

Rte.66_chicks :

And it only took 3 hours??? I'm impressed!

Yep! That didnt include scattering the shavings, putting straw in the buckets or filling the feeders or waterer but in a nutshell it was very quick. The only cutting to fit i did was the masonite lap siding on the inside perimeter and 2x4's for the roost. Everything else was put up as it. The tin on the back and 2 sides are 10 feet in length no trimming needed just wired them to the kennel. The front tin is 6 feet and i just wired them to the kennel as well. The roof is 12 feet lengths of tin and i left it overhang the front of the coop to keep the rain out where i left the the top open in the front. I screwed the roof tin to 3 10 foot 2x4's which sit on top of the kennel panels and are tied down in place. I set the front one on edge, the middle one flat, and the back one sits lower in the "rounded" off area where the pipe for the kennel takes a bend downward. This makes for a very nice gradual slope so the rain will run off to the rear. It also leaves a nice small opening along the top on the sides for cross ventilation. Worked out quite well. Will almost be a shame to tear this one down when i build my permanent coop!​

Last edited:
Only three hours to put that beauty up? So much room, and so functional. That's brilliant, way to go!
clap.gif

Last edited:
Quote:
The kennel sections themselves for the coop and the run we had up in half an hour. They just bolt together. Took about 15 minutes to screw the roof tin to the 2x4's and we just picked the whole roof up as one section and set it in place and secured it to the kennel with wire and rope. The longest part of the job was wiring the tin to the walls of the coop but it went pretty fast. I drilled the holes from the outside of the tin and my wife passed the wire through from the inside and i tied it. Then on to drill the next holes and so on.

Last edited:
That is a mighty fine job you did there! Does it have wire over the outside run so hawks do not get the chickens?
clap.gif

ok, I looked again and read you have netting over top

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom