Well, hey there! Converted lurker here!

MissCindy

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jul 24, 2014
Franklinville, New Jersey, USA
My Coop
My Coop
So I finally decided to create an account here. Mainly, I want the option to be able to ask questions if I ever need to, and also to share pictures of my chickens and the coop I built.

I guess first, I'll copy (and answer) the introduction template questions, lol!

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
I'm new, but my boyfriend grew up with chickens and rabbits that his mother raised for food.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
We have ten happy chickens! We got some of our chickens in March of this year from our local Tractor Supply... well, we got four Red Star hens and two Ameracaunas. We traded one Ameracauna to a friend of ours who hatched his own this year from a Barred Rock roo and Rhode Island Red hens. He gave us two, which both turned out to be roosters! We sold those at auction, and because he is such a wonderful friend we just received two more pullets a few weeks ago from him - one is a beautiful hen that he hatched which looks like a mosaic, and the other is a lovely golden colored Ameracauna. They're integrating slowly but surely into the flock. Yesterday I found our first clutch of eggs!

(3) What breeds do you have?
As mentioned above, Red Stars, Americaunas, and a pretty little mixed up mutt.

(4) How did you find out about BackYardChickens.com?
Internet searching for info on raising our chicks led me here.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?
Hm, I ride a motorcycle, I'm an artist, I like to build things, I read a lot, I'm friendly, and I love to laugh.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
I live with my boyfriend in a relatively rural place, in a little neighborhood that's tucked away in a pocket of state forest land. We have one gorgeous pit bull doggie, and one handsome black cat. We have about a quarter acre of fenced-in yard, which the chickens love to run around freely in. They do have a run I built, but I let them range most of the day. The dog and cat get along just fine with each other, and the chickens. Oh, we do scrap metal as a side thing, so we have a running pile of scrap in a section of our yard. That's where I found the little nest of three eggs yesterday! Today I left the girls in their run! Lol... I just opened their nest boxes last week and have fake eggs in each box. Hopefully they learn!

Well, I guess that's it about me for now! I'll be posting pics eventually, especially of my coop. I'm quite proud of it - it's built almost entirely of recycled and repurposed materials! The only thing we bought were the screws for the metal roof, a few pieces of recycled plywood from a pallet manufacturer, and some heavy door hinges. I even found the exterior grade paint for it! It's amazing what people will throw away.

I look forward to meeting some of you, and sharing chicken stories!

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

So glad you could join our community! Sounds like you have a lovely flock!

Make yourself at home and if you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Enjoy this wonderful adventure you are on and welcome to our flock!

:welcome

Thanks for joining our flock.

Sounds like you have a wonderful variety. Trust me you start with 10 but it multiplys rapidly!

Welcome to BYC!

Glad you joined the flock, you sound like a very resourceful person. Would love to see pictures of coop, yard and chickies.

Hi Miss Cindy and welcome to BYC! Glad you came out of lurker mode and decided to join us.

Welcome to BYC, MissCindy! Glad you decided to join our flock. Great introduction! A lot of us were lurkers before joining. You have some good laying breeds. The Red Stars are labels used by Murray McMurray and other hatcheries for their Red Sex Links and they are egg laying machines. Ameraucanas (actually ours are Easter Eggers rather than true Ameraucanas, which lay only blue eggs) are my granddaughter's favorite chickens. She loves the different colored eggs the EEs lay. Congratulations on your first clutch of eggs and good luck with your flock.

welcome-byc.gif

Thanks for joining our flock.

Sounds like you have a wonderful variety. Trust me you start with 10 but it multiplys rapidly!

Welcome to BYC!

Hahaha, I can see that! I started with 6, wound up with 10, and we're already picking out which breeds we like for chick time in spring!! Good thing I built the coop bigger than I needed (thanks to advice I saw on BYC)!

Back
Top Bottom