Well, this is awkward - and not exactly 'livestock' (or a pet).

Yes, what SillyChicken said. He was mowing in tall grass, on a rural piece of property quite a way from the house. The fawn being a fawn did what they do: Curled down in tall grass and didn't move. So the mower smacked into it. Deer got lucky not to be chewed to pieces since he hit it with the front, not the blade.

I've got calls in with wildlife rehab people. I'm waiting on a call back now. Meanwhile - please rest assured: she's not inside, she's not being exposed to the kids, the dogs, or me for longer than it takes to give her a bottle and get out of there. She's bedded down outside, in a (HUGE) dog crate with a lot of hay (because that's what I have) and as soon as I get a call back, she's out of here and on to people who know how to help. If I wanted a bottle baby to make a pet of - I'd get a goat, I promise. (And, actually, I just might get a couple of goats!)

Last edited:
Deer get mowed frequently on the hay ranches, along with other animals that are in the fields. Deer are usually considered vermin, like rats, but sometimes the families take an injured one in (even amputated limbs), nurse them back to health, and they live out their lives with the families.

Glad you've found a place to take it. And goats are awesome!

She'll be going first thing in the morning (Closest place would be closed by the time we got there). So this should be my last question here (Also, please excuse the lack of me telling people where I am. I have no wish to get into trouble with the law. I *am* that paranoid).

Does anyone know if her bonding with a CAT is going to present an issue? Because our indoor/outdoor cat is sticking to her cage like glue.

since she won't be with you long, don't worry about the cat. I don't think bonding with a cat would pose much of a problem even for the long term either. In the wild, a cat is not an animal that would prey upon it. That's why the "no dog" rule exists...the last thing a deer in the wild need to do is go running up to a dog thinking it's her long lost friend. I am glad you found a place for her!

Quote:
This weekend we were approached by a deer and it actually stole the cookie that my husband was eating and almost got my daughter's too! We were told it was one of the first and sickest fawns that her rehabber had ever had to take care of and the only one that is so people friendly. She is about 5 and luckily for her she lives at a private lake that has no hunting for a 15 mile radius but I still worry for her. They put a ribbon on her every day so that any hunter will know that she is not a 'normal' doe, and her being small even for a whitetail is very in her favor. She is fed by many residents of the lake (there are only 25 total memberships & me and DH are the only one with a child) so she stays pretty close especially with the drought. I imagine rehabbing is a hard job but thank you for doing it for the rest of us softies
smile.png

i wanted to add, in some cases, if rehab places (and rehabbers) are busy and overstocked sometimes they will allow individuals to "aprentice" to raise found wildife, essentally you do the work under thier name and they will tell you the best way to do it...

sounds like youve found a safe place for the little one though so thats wonderful
smile.png

I agree with Bagendhens. See if the rehab center will allow you to officially become a volunteer.
Have someone from the rescue visit your house and give you suggestions on the best way to keep the fawn.
That way if it ever becomes an issue, you are a rehabber associated with a certified rescue.
It should cover you. and get you some helpful advice.

Back
Top Bottom