well this is depressing

Thanks for the encouragement. It was feeling a little hopeless but I'm going to make a separate, smaller coop for them and try to do all I can. The person that sold them to me told me that it is possibly genetics but that it's highly unlikely because they probably came from 2 different chickens. So I'll make it a special project! Thanks
tongue.png

This is sad, as long as they are eating and drinking I would make them my special project and fight hard to keep them, good luck with them and please do keep us posted.

Randy

Last edited:
They may just be very slow feathering, there is actually a slow feathering gene that can be very helpful in developing some color patterns. Young males often feather in more slowly then hen chicks as well. I would not be very concerned yet.

Slow feathering chicks still feather in the same order, though. These have the head/neck covered and the body bare. Not normal. I think genetic issue.

Thelonious, why not make a thread and document for everyone the progress of these two. You could post pics of your birds, document the building of their new coop, their diet, track protein supplements and other nutritional records. It would be very interesting to see how these two develop through pictures. Maybe take and post a few pics of the birds on the same day every week. It might be fun for you and I know I would subscribe! I'm sure others would as well!

I just happened to think, if there is a vet college in your area, they may be interested in the genetics of these two. They would likely be willing to test them if you sent them, or one in if it dies. I am not suggesting that you cull, just keep it in mind if one dies for some reason. I would put it in the freezer and make some contacts. There may be someone else that would be interested. I know that there are several groups trying to develop featherless chickens, they may want more info on your birds. Just a thought.

I am going to build a separate coop this weekend. My father in law made a few suggestions and I have a few ideas of my own. I will take pictures and keep updating on this thread. I live in Raleigh, NC. NC State is right across town and have already contacted a poultry sciences professor there about something else. I may try to contact him again today and send him the pictures to see what he thinks. Thanks for the responses.

Maybe no heat lamp? Could it be a result of overheating? Maybe they are naked backs instead of naked necks.... Good luck. They look fine to me, but then again loss of hair seems quite normal to me too.....

Back
Top Bottom