Welps hatchery

Scruples325

Chirping
6 Years
Feb 26, 2015
I just butchered my first ever order from welps hatchery. Cornish Broilers. These were supposed to be the same as cornish x rockd.
not even close.
First off, i orderd 50, receivef 48 along with one dead.
Today i processed 37 birds.
After 10 weeks ( 2 weeks longer then i normally feed) no birds over 4 pounds.
30% death loss. Not something ive ever come close to before in my years of rsising meat birds.
I emailed them and told them i was short shipped and was losing an exceptionally high amount of chicks, with absolutely no reply.
Just a fyi of my experience

I just butchered my first ever order from welps hatchery. Cornish Broilers. These were supposed to be the same as cornish x rockd.
not even close.
First off, i orderd 50, receivef 48 along with one dead.
Today i processed 37 birds.
After 10 weeks ( 2 weeks longer then i normally feed) no birds over 4 pounds.
30% death loss. Not something ive ever come close to before in my years of rsising meat birds.
I emailed them and told them i was short shipped and was losing an exceptionally high amount of chicks, with absolutely no reply.
Just a fyi of my experience
Have you tried calling them for your opinion? Many hatcheries usually either ignore your email or they're too busy.

Wow I am sorry to hear that. I have successfully raised a batch of 25 cornish x from welp but haven't heard of the "cornish broilers". Call them and complain, perhaps they will send you some complementary birds or something.

Where are you at and what is your elevation? What were you feeding and what feed schedule did you follow? Did you add supplements? How were they kept?

As you can see from my questions there are numerous factors that determine weight gain and survivability.

Time of year is everything with Cornish cross as is elevation. I raised a batch last winter, from Welp, and dressed weight on them at 8 weeks was 5.75 pounds with half weighing in at near 7 pounds and a few over 8 pounds. husbandry practices also determine final weights.

Welp states on their website and on the shipping invoice that you must call in for deaths and shortages, not email. The chicks come with a 48 hour post arrival health guarantee, so those lost in that time frame are also covered and replaced and or refunded

I have had a bad experience with them this year as well. Disappointed in their current meat birds as well as their customer service. Year’s past, they were great, now not so much.

Back
Top Bottom