Welsh Harlequin

Hello everyone!! Been following for some time and excited to join you
smile.png

My order of 12 Welsh Harlequins from Holderreads arrived yesterday and I am very excited!! These are our first ducks. My order consists of both silver & gold phase so I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on approximately what age you can differentiate the two color phases?

Thanks in advance!!
I could start seeing the difference at 3-4 weeks old.

Oh great thanks!! I never hoped it would be that early =) I have someone who wants a silver drake in two months and I wasn't sure if i would be able to tell by then.
now, I could tell the silvers from the gold but still not sure on Drake vs Duck on a couple that are 6 weeks old now...

now, I could tell the silvers from the gold but still not sure on Drake vs Duck on a couple that are 6 weeks old now...
Did you buy them after they were a few days old? Mine hatched Monday/Tuesday and shipped Tuesday. They arrived Wednesday and the drakes still had black bills so I could sex them immediately. Holderread sent 6 ducks and 7 drakes (1 was extra). I used zip ties for the short term to identify the drakes as i know the bill difference will fade within the next few days. I have been trying to locate actual spiral leg bands for them the past few days. The zip ties make me uncomfortable.

all of them had the same colored bill when i picked them up from the store. I believe i have 2 drakes and 1 duck. one of the drakes is confusing me.

all of them had the same colored bill when i picked them up from the store. I believe i have 2 drakes and 1 duck. one of the drakes is confusing me.
Hmm.. what a bummer!! I wonder if they were too old. I have read it only lasts up to 5 or so days from hatching. How old are they now?

Hmm.. what a bummer!! I wonder if they were too old. I have read it only lasts up to 5 or so days from hatching. How old are they now?
they were under a week old. Picked them up at tractor supply one day. one is quacking and has a almost black bill (i believe the female), one has a dark greenish bill Silver (my confusion duck), and one has really orange legs and a yellow bill (Drake). 6-7wks old.

they were under a week old. Picked them up at tractor supply one day. one is quacking and has a almost black bill (i believe the female), one has a dark greenish bill Silver (my confusion duck), and one has really orange legs and a yellow bill (Drake). 6-7wks old.
I'm a newbie but looks like a duck and two drakes to me! If you got them from TSC maybe that they are a hatchery strain has something to do with it. Would be interesting to know if that made a difference. The hatcheries don't breed to the SOP and so sometimes particular breed traits may be diminished as a result. They are lovely though
smile.png

Hello everyone!! Been following for some time and excited to join you
smile.png

My order of 12 Welsh Harlequins from Holderreads arrived yesterday and I am very excited!! These are our first ducks. My order consists of both silver & gold phase so I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on approximately what age you can differentiate the two color phases?

Thanks in advance!!

ooohh! Congratulations!! I am sure I speak for everyone when I say we'd like to see pictures! Maybe someone can identify the silver and gold phase for you. I had suspected one of mine was a gold, and another member confirmed that during the firs or second week. She had a pink bill and was quite a bit different from the others. Here she is on the right...

and there she is again on the right during her first week. Pink bill and softer coloring.

lol I think this was the day I got them, so they were 3 days old, and she is again on the right. Her bill was completely pink and lacked any darkness at the tip. I don't know if it is typically this easy to tell the Gold from the Silver's or if she was just an odd exception. :)

ooohh! Congratulations!! I am sure I speak for everyone when I say we'd like to see pictures! Maybe someone can identify the silver and gold phase for you. I had suspected one of mine was a gold, and another member confirmed that during the firs or second week. She had a pink bill and was quite a bit different from the others. Here she is on the right...

and there she is again on the right during her first week. Pink bill and softer coloring.

lol I think this was the day I got them, so they were 3 days old, and she is again on the right. Her bill was completely pink and lacked any darkness at the tip. I don't know if it is typically this easy to tell the Gold from the Silver's or if she was just an odd exception. :)

Thanks!! Your babies are/were beautiful!!

Hmmm now you are making me nervous that what I thought were all boys may have in fact just been silver!! Mine did look like yours and half had the dark body coloration but those all had darker bills so I thought they were boys
barnie.gif

The other 6 were light with a faint gold. So much for marking the boys upon delivery...OOPS?!

Back
Top Bottom