Welsh Harlequin

At this point, I really can't tell. I had a couple of birds I just knew were drakes, but after their molt they turned out to be ducks, and vice versa. Only the bird at the front left looks like it is a Welsh Harlequin. What other breeds do you have? I can tell one of them is a Cayuga, and the one with the bib - is that a Magpie? Is the yellow one a Pekin?

At this point, I really can't tell. I had a couple of birds I just knew were drakes, but after their molt they turned out to be ducks, and vice versa. Only the bird at the front left looks like it is a Welsh Harlequin. What other breeds do you have? I can tell one of them is a Cayuga, and the one with the bib - is that a Magpie? Is the yellow one a Pekin?

You've got 3/4, the one you think is a Magpie is actually a Black Swedish. I thought since I could only have a limited number I'd get some different breeds, more fun that way. Thanks for your advice on my welshy, I guess I'll just have to wait and see!

How to tell the 2 colors apart as babies:

Ducklings are dunn colored with a slight blushing of black (silver phase) or brown (gold phase) on their heads. Welsh Harlequins can be sexed right after hatching with about a 90% accuracy. Take a look at their bill color within the first 3 days and note that a your girls will have pink bills and boys will be darker. Silver phase will have a dark silver coloring on the head and Gold phase is a pretty golden-brown.

Also, boys have all dark bills and girls have pinker bills (this you have to catch in the first 3 days because the bill colors change fast)

Silver boy (grey head, dark bill) Gold girl (brown head, pink bill)

I "borrowed" the above write up form a web site and I can't find where I got it from to give them credit.
sad.png

Oh... My... Goodness....they are adorable!

Yup. Looks like 2 girls,1 boy. 2 silver and one gold.

I am interested to see how that gold grows up....

Oh... My... Goodness....they are adorable!

Yup. Looks like 2 girls,1 boy. 2 silver and one gold.

I am interested to see how that gold grows up....
Thank you again. It's hard to believe they are finally here... seems just like yesterday you and I were talking about the eggs being set LOL. and now they are here. I love them already. They are adorable and very curious. I will keep you posted as to how they grow and look as they get older. My 13 yr old will be showing the silvers in the fair this year. He's excited too.

What does it mean if my WH is "pooping" white and runny it is also not as active or loud. I put them in water for like 10
Minutes and he was acting fine before is anything wrong with him. He is only two and a half week old

Back
Top Bottom