Welsh Harlequin

Haha it was so much fun. I took her and the other three when they were just babies and Jasper was still imprinted on me :)

Oops lol I'm new to the thread and owning a duck, saved this lol guy/gal from my friends chickens they were attacking it, could some give me more info, what colour and gender it may possibly be

Oops lol I'm new to the thread and owning a duck, saved this lol guy/gal from my friends chickens they were attacking it, could some give me more info, what colour and gender it may possibly be
I'm not very educated on all duck breeds just yet, so anything I say could be totally wrong.

The duckling looks like a silver phase Welsh Harlequin, but I don't think we'll be able to tell until all her adult feathers are in. Based on the feathering, I would GUESS she's about four-ish weeks old? Maybe three weeks. I don't remember exactly when my guys were getting their feathers. As for gender, I don't think you can tell just yet. I'm using 'she' because that's my guess, but only because of the black bill. I had a duck that we thought was going to be a boy, and she turned out to be a girl, so who knows? You should be able to tell when she starts quacking. If she quacks(I would best describe it as a honking sound; the typical duck quack), she's a girl. Boys make a more raspy, quieter sound. It really is a major difference, and you will be able to tell.

I'm not very educated on all duck breeds just yet, so anything I say could be totally wrong.

The duckling looks like a silver phase Welsh Harlequin, but I don't think we'll be able to tell until all her adult feathers are in. Based on the feathering, I would GUESS she's about four-ish weeks old? Maybe three weeks. I don't remember exactly when my guys were getting their feathers.  As for gender, I don't think you can tell just yet. I'm using 'she' because that's my guess, but only because of the black bill. I had a duck that we thought was going to be a boy, and she turned out to be a girl, so who knows? You should be able to tell when she starts quacking. If she quacks(I would best describe it as a honking sound; the typical duck quack), she's a girl. Boys make a more raspy, quieter sound. It really is a major difference, and you will be able to tell.

Thank you, yeah shim (she/him) is still peeping but vocals are changing a wee bit sounds like a chesty cough

Thank you, yeah shim (she/him) is still peeping but vocals are changing a wee bit sounds like a chesty cough

If its voice continues to get quieter and raspy I'd say you have a boy. My girls starting peep-QUACKing around 3-5 weeks?

This is what Jasper sounded like when I started to question Jasper was a he

0.jpg

And this is when she started peep-quacking :)
0.jpg

Last edited:
If its voice continues to get quieter and raspy I'd say you have a boy. My girls starting peep-QUACKing around 3-5 weeks? This is what Jasper sounded like when I started to question Jasper was a he And this is when she started peep-quacking :) [/quote awwwww theyre so cute, so exciting watching "bubbles" (the kids named him)grow, i cant believe how fast they grow, will wait another week and hopefully ill be able to tell thankyou. This helpd me alot, thought all ducks sounded the same lol but nope

having a hard time getting them to sleep inside the chicken coop tonight. when I put them in, they just start to making a lot of noise and disrupt my hens. So I just let them sleep in the smaller pen just outside the coop. I've only had him since Saturday 8-5. So I'm thinking they won't settle in for at least another week or two?

Mine STILL prefer to stay outside at night and I've got some that are over 5 years old. Each night youngest son goes out and rounds them up and herds them into their house and locks them up (to protect them from opossums, raccoons, ect). They all know the routine, so they don't scatter everywhere when they see him coming. Instead they all go straight for the door. But they just won't go in the barn on their own at night. And they don't sleep much at might, if at all. At least mine don't. What they do is "cat nap" off and on throughout the day, and then if left outside all night, will spend the entire time foraging and feasting on slugs and other night creepy crawlies.

Back
Top Bottom