Welsh Harlequin

We have steadily seen the class sizes grow in Indiana over the last few years but we always take a dozen plus Welsh Harlequins to show ourselves so the classes look nice with just ours but we have two other breeders that we have been able to meet and help build their flocks locally and now there are sometimes 20+ WH's at the shows we attend. I consider the breed to be extremely rare when it comes to being bred to a show standard, but if you look around at most breeds of waterfowl, they are all somewhat rare from being bred to a STANDARD. Lots of people have ducks, not many people breed them to what their SOP description should look like. Muscovy are a perfect example, as are Pekins, Rouens, Buffs, Indian Runners, Swedish, Crested, Campbells, Magpie, Saxony, Appleyards, Calls, East Indies, etc... :) unless they are specifically showing them we find too often that most people breed with little care as to what the birds look like, their weight or their patterns or bill color/leg color.

Both of the local shows I've been to with my ducks they've been the only WHs there. In fact it seems to be that way with all of the breeds besides calls and muscovies, they're each brought by one exhibitor.

I'll be having 5 of my birds driven down to the Stockton, CA show at the end of January. I am SO excited!!! I'll have 1 silver old drake, 1 silver drake, 1 silver old duck, 1 silver duck, and 1 gold duck. Hopefully I see plenty of Welshies there since there's supposed to be around 4000 birds entered!

Last edited:
We try to show a gold in each class: Old Male, Old Female, Young Male, Young Female, and then we show at least that many silvers as well, but we will take more than one old female or young female etc...

We have steadily seen the class sizes grow in Indiana over the last few years but we always take a dozen plus Welsh Harlequins to show ourselves so the classes look nice with just ours but we have two other breeders that we have been able to meet and help build their flocks locally and now there are sometimes 20+ WH's at the shows we attend. I consider the breed to be extremely rare when it comes to being bred to a show standard, but if you look around at most breeds of waterfowl, they are all somewhat rare from being bred to a STANDARD. Lots of people have ducks, not many people breed them to what their SOP description should look like. Muscovy are a perfect example, as are Pekins, Rouens, Buffs, Indian Runners, Swedish, Crested, Campbells, Magpie, Saxony, Appleyards, Calls, East Indies, etc... :) unless they are specifically showing them we find too often that most people breed with little care as to what the birds look like, their weight or their patterns or bill color/leg color.
An East Indies duck took Champion of the whole show at Tucson in Nov. There were tons of bantam ducks of all kinds but the only large ducks I saw were a few Muscovy and I think all from one person. I was going to try and have a few Welsh to show there next year but have lost my older breeding pair and a lot of other birds to a bobcat. Said cat is now gone and I have a line on a new drake as soon as I get my pens situated so maybe is still possible.

Our young Harlequins have really impressed us during this crazy cold spell. Here the temperature was -15, and they were choosing to play in a pail of water rather than stay snug in their shed. Our Swedish wouldn't even come outside, and we thought they'd be the most cold hardy. We plan to get more Welshies this spring!

Our young Harlequins have really impressed us during this crazy cold spell. Here the temperature was -15, and they were choosing to play in a pail of water rather than stay snug in their shed. Our Swedish wouldn't even come outside, and we thought they'd be the most cold hardy. We plan to get more Welshies this spring!

They sure are pretty.

My girls went through a very heavy molt this Fall. Now i get one egg a day out of four girls. They were laying really well until the molt. About how long before they begin again? Maybe it is the length of daylight?

Yes without a light you won't get many eggs. I have 4 pullets and 2 old ducks (1.5 years) and I'm getting 5-6 eggs a day! I have a light on for mine just like I do my chickens and they are doing great. I got the older ones post-molt from a friend. Without a light they probably won't start up until spring.

Hi, I'm new here. I was wondering if anyone could help me with the sex of my Welsh Harlequin (Franklin)? Many thanks

At 1 week, Miffy (left), Franklin (right)

Franklin at 2 weeks

I'm unsure of the breed of my other baby Miffy

If Franklin follows the color sexing rule, then Franklin is a boy :). However a lot of the time the rules aren't really applying anymore due to a loss in that genetic trait, so it's really a toss-up.

your other ducklings looks to be an Ancona

Back
Top Bottom