Welsh Harlequin

Waaaahh they look so cute!! Congrats on your new additions! ^_^

I've got a question for everyone WH-experienced. I picked up my order of 2 female WH's about 3 weeks ago from Metzer. At first they both look about the same, coloring-wise. But one, the smaller one, has had her feet and beak turn blackish (as expected for a female). My other bigger one still has the default orangish beak, and bright orange feet. I can post a photo if needed.
Do you think one of my females is a male?

I was told that Metzer genetics are not has solid as holderread or breeder lines, and therefore you can end up with ducks with wrong colored bills and feet.

Thanks, here's my two female WH's from Metzer, 3 weeks old (they just took a bath):

love.gif

I was told that Metzer genetics are not has solid as holderread or breeder lines, and therefore you can end up with ducks with wrong colored bills and feet.

That's interesting. Do you mind sharing who it was who told you this? I'm just curious if was hearsay or first-hand knowledge.

When I was researching, I did read quite a bit about Holderread and his history, which certainly leads me to believe that their stock would be nothing but the best. Had I been closer, I likely would have gone to them. I didn't want to deal with the Post Office and shipping.

Jason at K&S Waterfowl told me I believe. It's just like any hatchery though, breed characteristics can be lost without careful selective breeding. Holderread has great birds (his show quality and elite show quality in particular), but Metzer's genetics are shaky and unpredictable. Not a problem if you just want production birds though :)

Speaking of Metzer they have a live hatch cam and this weekend they are filming the harlequins. I am especially excited because my ducklings are coming from Metzer and from this hatching.

As for the genetic issue I have read about regarding Metzer vs Holderread it's up in the air. I studied genetics so I could go on forever. I will spare you :) That said I picked Metzer because I was able to get my ducklings sexed and even though I ordered enough ducklings they are taking extra care to ensure they get here safe in the weather we're having.

Back
Top Bottom