Welsh Harlequin

I would not clip their wings if you're going to range them, because they need whatever they can to get away from potential predators. You will need to train them where home is and to come back, otherwise they'll probably sleep on the pond. Start out by not letting them go to the pond until they are much older, like 6 months at least, and then start letting them out for limited periods of time. I have a creek that cuts through and I've trained them not to go up and downstream. sometimes they still swim up the bank a bit and go in my neighbor's property, but probably because they're so close to us

To get them to go to their coop simply feed them at night. Mine aren't starved, they don't even always finish their food... but they are hungry at dinner and go willingly. As far as free ranging, yes I would clip their wings. Make sure there is no blood vessels in the wings then you cut the ten from the length span in (the primary feathers, cut them to the length of the secondary feathers. If they are red or pink at the base that means they have blood in them, DO NOT CUT. The ducks can bleed out and die. Keep super glue on you just in case and cut just one first. If it starts bleeding put the glue on right away and you will need to wait longer to clip the wings.

Oh, I free range in my backyard so the clipping I guess depends on WHERE your free ranging. I'm semi urban and we have neighbors dogs to worry about if my duck clears the fence.

Ahhhh, I want WH SO bad! I incubated golden 300 last spring and had 80% success. But I didn't know about many breeds. Since then I found others and just got WH and appleyard hatching eggs but struggled to get my incubator up to temp and lost them all.
1f62d.png

I'm soooo heartbroken since my hubby isn't too keen on the duck plan to began with. Now I'm wondering if I should try it again or not.

Oooooo I'm so jealous! I'd love to score a deal like that! Lately in lucky if I can find eggs for $5 each shipped.
1f615.png

@raizingkain look for a mom and pop feed store in your area. Mine doesn't carry welsh harlequins, but I asked them if they could get them in (since pretty much all feed stores order through a hatchery anyway). They said yes and when I asked a price they told me they would be $5 each

So this morrning we contacted the lady we were getting my welsh harlequin from. (We requested a silver female) she wrote back saying 2 out of 8 hatched, and it was a silver boy and gold female. We can't have another drake, and she didn't want to desperate the two. So now I gotta wait till next spring :/ they're with it though :love

Back
Top Bottom