Welsh Harlequin

We lost a lame duckling to a hawk several years ago, but that was our only loss from a hawk. There is a pair of hawks that nest near us year after year, and we occasionally see in the trees near the barn, but they have never taken any of the grown ducks. We have bird feeders set up all over the place and when the little birds scatter, the chickens (especially the small breeds) head for cover as well. The grown ducks just keep going about and are never bothered. Now owls are a different story. They can easily take a grown duck. And while usually night hunters, owls have been known to hunt during the day. We have a LGD (Livestock Guardian Dog) that watches for aerial predators, so that helps.

We lost a lame duckling to a hawk several years ago, but that was our only loss from a hawk. There is a pair of hawks that nest near us year after year, and we occasionally see in the trees near the barn, but they have never taken any of the grown ducks. We have bird feeders set up all over the place and when the little birds scatter, the chickens (especially the small breeds) head for cover as well. The grown ducks just keep going about and are never bothered. Now owls are a different story. They can easily take a grown duck. And while usually night hunters, owls have been known to hunt during the day. We have a LGD (Livestock Guardian Dog) that watches for aerial predators, so that helps.
You make a good point, I've watched my roosters give the warning call and the chickens run for cover the ducks pretty much stand in one place and look up which gives a hawk ample time to get one. I guess the phrase sitting ducks rings true in this case.

Hiya. Here are a few pics of my Welsh Harlequins from Metzer. They probably won't win any shows, but that's fine since they won't ever go to one lol. I got them because I wanted the pleasure of raising and keeping pretty duckies (the eggs will be a bonus) and they have been amazing! I ordered 2 females (they turned out to be silver phase), 1 drake (also silver), and 2 straight run (both of which turned out to be gold phase females). 5 Welshies altogether plus a cayuga and a pekin which manage to sneak into most of the photos.

Here they are at a couple of days old... welshies on the left in a fuzzy duck cluster
smile.png

splish splashing in the tub

Preening after a bath.

They are 2 months old in the following pics taken today. I think they're in their final moult before they start laying eggs hence all the duck feathers on the ground. They're temporarily in an old chicken coop that I built out of pallets til I finish their duck house!

Here you can see the drake with the lighter bill color.

Ducks are probably the best thing that could have happened to me at this point of my life. They make me so happy
love.gif

I haven't posted in a while. My welshies are 5 weeks now. They are by far the prettiest and friendliest ducks I've ever had. I just love them.

Here they are right after they arrived.

They're just hanging out on my lap.

Cuddle time.

Taking a dip...

More Cuddles...

Taking a dip in the baby pool about a week ago

Here they are now...this was yesterday while we were draining their pool. Olive, Pepper, and Pickles the Pekin digging for treats. I just love them.

Back
Top Bottom