Welsh Harlequin

The Drake in the middle does not look like a WH, and the one just to the left of it looks like a female Rouen/Mallard, but it also looks young so it could be an imm. drake, and the one on the far left MIGHT be a Kahki campbell drake?? Both it and the drake look like mixes.

Ok- so I have teenaged WH and it seems I either have managed to get a whole flock of nothing but drakes or it's a mixed flock, but all super dark hoods. I'm going to post pictures of them now - and a quick video. The first one stopped peeping yesterday and it's making a honking sound. Not a true quack, but then again it's only been a day since I've ever herd this sound from it. See below and tell me what you think. Do I have 4 drakes and some have feminine feathering, or do I have a mix and the hens have very dark hoods? Either way how will this coloration affect their next generation? I like darker coloration anyway...

Sorry for the bad video- my daughter is insane...go here to see 2 videos.... I can't embed or youtube from here.

Quack or not?

Thanks for any help. Until I heard that last night I was sure I had all drakes... now I'm not sure. LOL

Kimarie411 -
Where did you get your ducklings from? Did you specifically get females or are they straight run? Curious as you are not located too far away from me, and our ducklings ages aren't too far apart.

The Drake in the middle does not look like a WH, and the one just to the left of it looks like a female Rouen/Mallard, but it also looks young so it could be an imm. drake, and the one on the far left MIGHT be a Kahki campbell drake??  Both it and the drake look like mixes.
lol I guess I should have been more specific I was just talking about the two WH my khaki is a girl and my mallard appears to be a drake and the big one is a Pekin rouen cross I'm thinking it's a drake too

Last edited:
The one in the middle is a drake. The two on the right are Welsh Harlequin ducks. I'm not sure what the other two are, breed or sex.
lol I guess I should have been more specific I was just talking about the two WH my khaki is a girl and my mallard appears to be a drake and the big one is a Pekin rouen cross I'm thinking it's a drake too

Kimarie411 -
Where did you get your ducklings from? Did you specifically get females or are they straight run? Curious as you are not located too far away from me, and our ducklings ages aren't too far apart.
I got mine from a place called Chickens for Backyards. They arrived on the day they said they would and they were all very healthy and active. They added gro gel for them at no extra cost. I ordered the WH sexed. The Pekin was a straight run but I wasn't trying to play the 2 drakes 1 duck game lol. I would order from them again.

When my girls started quacking 1 started with a honk and the other started with a squeaky quack that's now a regular quack. It looks like one of yours has a greenish bill which indicates a male. I'm by no means an expert but I see 3 ducks and 1 drake.

1 of my girls looks like she may be getting a darker hood but then again she also has brown and grey feathers coming in on her face. We shall see. When I get off work I'll try to take a better pic of their heads.

Pebbleslynn-
How old are these two? The coloring and feathering looks hen - the bill (especially on the one) may be pale but it's not always set until they reach maturity. How about sounds? Anyone quacking yet? I'm not exactly an expert here - obviously I posted myself for this same reason. My crew all have super dark hoods and typically this indicates drakes.

I got mine from a place called Chickens for Backyards. They arrived on the day they said they would and they were all very healthy and active. They added gro gel for them at no extra cost. I ordered the WH sexed. The Pekin was a straight run but I wasn't trying to play the 2 drakes 1 duck game lol. I would order from them again.

When my girls started quacking 1 started with a honk and the other started with a squeaky quack that's now a regular quack. It looks like one of yours has a greenish bill which indicates a male. I'm by no means an expert but I see 3 ducks and 1 drake.

1 of my girls looks like she may be getting a darker hood but then again she also has brown and grey feathers coming in on her face. We shall see. When I get off work I'll try to take a better pic of their heads.
I take that back I see 2 with greenish bills so 2 drakes 2 ducks.

Back
Top Bottom