Welsh Harlequin

hi everyone. I swear I love my ducks, so don't kill me here, but...
How big are Welsh Harlequins when dressed? How many does their carcass serve? (I need to keep my family happy too...)

I think that is a great question. I have no idea because my ducks are two weeks old and I got them for laying. However I am interested in the answer because sometime later especially if I decide to breed my Welsh I will want to eat my excess boys.

love.gif
So cute!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for sharing!

hi everyone. I swear I love my ducks, so don't kill me here, but...
How big are Welsh Harlequins when dressed? How many does their carcass serve? (I need to keep my family happy too...)
Not sure. I don't believe Welshies are very good meat birds; they don't look that big to me anyways. Are you getting them only for meat? If so, you may want to consider Pekins or Aylesburies .... just my two cents.

:love So cute!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for sharing!

Not sure. I don't believe Welshies are very good meat birds; they don't look that big to me anyways. Are you getting them only for meat? If so, you may want to consider Pekins or Aylesburies .... just my two cents.

I don't want the fast growing meat birds, I want flavorful, slow growing birds. My ducks are mostly pets, broodies, and layers, but every month or so my family expects a "duck meal" since they don't see the point otherwise.

I don't want the fast growing meat birds, I want flavorful, slow growing birds. My ducks are mostly pets, broodies, and layers, but every month or so my family expects a "duck meal" since they don't see the point otherwise.
Oh, OK, I get it. Well, I think, judging from the way my WHs look compared to my other ducks, that they would be better than Khakis and Runners, but overall not the best meat duck. Mine are kind of small (they are three months old.) They are bigger than my Runner and Khaki but not bigger than my 300s. Rouens may be better for your purposes than WHs, but it's really your choice. I suppose they could be used as meat birds.

Edited to add: I think it also may depend on who you get them from, but not sure on that. I know it does matter with some breeds :)

Last edited:
Oh, OK, I get it. Well, I think, judging from the way my WHs look compared to my other ducks, that they would be better than Khakis and Runners, but overall not the best meat duck. Mine are kind of small (they are three months old.) They are bigger than my Runner and Khaki but not bigger than my 300s. Rouens may be better for your purposes than WHs, but it's really your choice. I suppose they could be used as meat birds.

Edited to add: I think it also may depend on who you get them from, but not sure on that. I know it does matter with some breeds :)

I did have Rouens but turns out they weren't purebred. :(
I have my eye on some Buff Orpington ducks, but they're not ducklings. They are beautiful, though.

I did have Rouens but turns out they weren't purebred.
sad.png

I have my eye on some Buff Orpington ducks, but they're not ducklings. They are beautiful, though.
Yes, I saw the pics of them on the duck thread .... or one of those threads, I don't remember which! You still have them? They were beautiful!
I suppose any of the medium-heavyweight ducks would work for you, so Buff Orpingtons, yes (and they are beautiful!), Rouens, WHs, etc.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom