Welsh Harlequin

Hoping someone here can help me answer a weight question. I know 4 months may be young to show a drake but I have no clue as to what the weight standards of this breed are. I have been told that a young drake should weigh 6 pounds.. For a light breed that seem excessive. Anyone out there who shows Welsh Harlequins know what the weight standards are for young and older birds?

Also, when will the Welsh Harlequin Standard of Perfection be made available to people? I have the 2001 Standard of Perfection (got it half price off Amazon) and Welsh Harlequins are not in it though they were accepted that year. Were they only accepted after publication?

hello!!!!! i just ordered my 2 ducklings for march!!!!!! i pondered several different breeds and have chosen this one!! cant wait!! just want to say hello!!!
frow.gif

Weight for Welsh Harlequins should be around 5 to 5 1/2 lbs, a young bird should be right around 4 1/2 to 5 lbs by the time they are in their first set of breeding plumage.

From looking at your pictures, your birds will be bigger than that. You have one bird that is pied, (the one with the white on the face in the 1st picture below the muscovies. True welsh harlequins are never pied birds, but often the stock from Metzer come out that way. That being said all of those birds that I've seen in person end up larger and closer to 6-7 lbs. Of course from time to time we even have larger bodied birds hatched from our show breeders and (if males) are always culled from the property.

Ok.. I am resurrecting this thread... because I have totally fallen in love with these ducks.

I can't seem to find a breeder in CA.. does anyone know one?

If I have to use a hatchery..I know Holderreads is the best, but I really hesitate with the NO sexing thing.. I really don't want a bunch of boys I will have to find homes for.... So out of the available hatcheries that sex.. there is Metzer, California Hatchery.. and efowl... Does anyone know anything about these?

Do the males get along if there is more than one? Or do they fight like roos? How many females per male do you have to have to keep domestic tranquility?

Thanks.. I CANT WAIT to get my little duckies!!

AZhenhouse: These sweet WH girls came from Metzer's in California. They were 2 days old in the photo and are now almost a week. can't wait for them to grow up and give me beautiful eggs! I have chickens but this is my first foray into owning ducks. They were purchased sexed.
45693_img_0187.jpg

Back
Top Bottom