Welsh Harlequin

DWD I dont know if they carry gold gene or not....didnt know enough to ask when ordered. They are his show quality though....so we will see. I will need some people to volunteer to hatch out my first couple of hatches to test fertility, as I don't have incubators anymore.. so I guess I will have to wait and see. I guess we could call and ask. I talked to Millie the other day and she is a gem.. just a very lovely lady.

Been lurking on this thread for awhile. Basically waiting and hoping. I have 8 eggs that went into lockdown yesterday and 5 more that I just set. I want to start breeding welsh harlequins. After much debate I cut it down to two breeds and due to the rarity of magpies which was my first choice I chose the welsh. I am praying that these eggs hatch for me. I haven't ever hatched waterfowl before but one goose that went in to lockdown with them has hatched. So I am hopeful.

I have to say that I love all the pics, they are a beautiful breed. Does anyone on this thread sell hatching eggs? I can't seem to afford the ones that go up on ebay.

I am joining this thread because DH said "maybe we can get ducks"....... so I'm taking that as yes! I want 3 of these beauties and I want them now! I am curious about housing them. I've done some searching, and folks seem more willing to share their chicken enclosures/coops but less so for ducks! I need ideas friends!!!!!!

Quote:
For that few ducks you could just use a dog house! I am so new to ducks I don't even have mine yet
lol.png
But they are coming in a few weeks.

From what I understand: either your run MUST BE COMPLETELY SECURE meaning ground covered and enclosed on top, OR.. you can secure their house and put them up at night. I am choosing the secure house and have drawn the MOST BASIC of plans.. and I do mean basic..

up on cement pillers
2x4 frame for 8x4 plywood floor
2 4x8 on their long side for front and back (the front will be cut in half to open from both sides from the middle out, hinges on outside edges)
1 4x8 cut in half for each side
wavy plastic roof stuff.

I will be cutting the sides down 6 or 8 inches on all 4 sides at the top and putting in hardware cloth for ventilation.

Walla.. duck house...

VERY unfancy and plain, but is all my skill level will allow
smile.png

Quote:
For that few ducks you could just use a dog house! I am so new to ducks I don't even have mine yet
lol.png
But they are coming in a few weeks.

From what I understand: either your run MUST BE COMPLETELY SECURE meaning ground covered and enclosed on top, OR.. you can secure their house and put them up at night. I am choosing the secure house and have drawn the MOST BASIC of plans.. and I do mean basic..

up on cement pillers
2x4 frame for 8x4 plywood floor
2 4x8 on their long side for front and back (the front will be cut in half to open from both sides from the middle out, hinges on outside edges)
1 4x8 cut in half for each side
wavy plastic roof stuff.

I will be cutting the sides down 6 or 8 inches on all 4 sides at the top and putting in hardware cloth for ventilation.

Walla.. duck house...

VERY unfancy and plain, but is all my skill level will allow
smile.png

I am familiar with safety because I have 20 chickens! I am hoping to be able to have some sort of pond-like feature inside the run, so they can float around when I am not home letting them run around my yard. I like the black cement mixing containers to start with, anyone have pictures of that be used?

My babies are six and five weeks old now. Here are some updated pictures of them.

Peanut (6wks) is my son's first choice for a showmanship duck. She hates to be caught, but once you have her she is very calm. He has been practicing poses with her, and she is very cooperative.
62892_peanut.jpg

Cookie (6wks) is the loudest, and was the most timid until Ritz came along.
62892_cookie.jpg

Skittles (5wks) is my son's second choice for showmanship. She is as calm as Peanut.
62892_skittles.jpg

Ritz (5wks) wants nothing to do with us humans. He absolutely hates being handled.
sad.png

62892_ritz.jpg

Can any of you that are more experienced with Harlequins tell me if we have silver or golden phase ducks? I am thinking we have both.
idunno.gif

They are awesome ducks but I can't wait for them to move out. It's getting too crowded in this house!
big_smile.png

I have all silver, and none of them had the gold highlights yours have - so, my guess is all gold. Peanut doesn't seem as dark though. Just a guess
smile.png
They are beautiful, either way!

Quote:
We put ours in a separate house than the chickens. Desperate at the time, we used a 16*16 dog pen, and enclosed the top with 1/2 roof and 1/2 fencing, angled so we could walk in it. Inside the pen, we dug out a hole for a medium sized kiddy pool. We cut a hole in the bottom of the pool, added a drain, and have drain pipe that runs out to the downhill side. They have two nests boxes, which they use. The dog pen was supposed to be temporary, but it worked out so well, we kept it.

Currently - they don't use the thing, except to come eat. We have a small pond, and they LOVE the water, and as long as they are in the pond, I don't worry about them too much. It's when they are out of the water, I watch them to make sure nothing gets them. I feed them only in their pen, so I can still lock them down when needed (if I need to take the somewhere soon, look at their feet, predator in the area, etc).

Back
Top Bottom