Welsh Harlequin

I have a question to all the people breeding to standard for WH. Do you cull out your Golds ?

Hello ~

I just wanted to post here that I was rehoming a pair of my Welsh Harlequins. I listed here on BYC and on Craigs list. I am in Northern California. They are from Metzer and are pet quality. I was going to upload some pics, but I am on dial up , it does not want to do it. I can email pics if interested.

New to the group but love my Welsh Harlequins. I have 4 hens and 1 drake and I also have two
mixes WH with Cayuga and a Blue runner hen. All my WH are very calm, in fact my Jack still likes to sit on my lap and take pets at Meal worm time. Ebony, my WH/Cayuga mix took on most of the Cayuga traits and so I got calm and calmer in Ebony, though I'm still waiting to find our if
Ebby is a Drake or Duck. I'm hoping for Duck as the other mix is obviously a drake in voice and
behavior.

I got two of my WH from a small farm in Maryland (Moose Manor Farm). Three I got from Metzer.
The first two were calmer, but my other three are settling in well.

Best of luck,

Muse7

Why would we cull golds? They ARE the original standard in England. The silvers came later and are considered incorrect in the country of origin. I love them both. :)

Hi Ryan,

Although I personally have not been breeding long, I do know that WH are known for being
good broodies, but I'm sure like all breeds, they will not all be equal in that area.

My first 5 were brooded by a WH and over half of them weren't even hers, and one was 2 weeks old when she accepted it. She brooded, all at the same time, two of her own, 2 WH/Cayuga mixes,
a 2 week old blue runner and 2 chicken chicks. Pretty amazing really.

Now, my Blue runner was 2 weeks older than all the rest of my 5 and even at 2 weeks she was
extremely motherly, taking care of the other when they came home with me, and Runners, in general, are not supposed to be good broodies. So go figure.

It also may be that she is just a new mom, or that there really was something wrong with the
ducklings and her instinct kicked in. So many different variables.

Best,

Muse 7

Hi Ryan,

Although I personally have not been breeding long, I do know that WH are known for being
good broodies, but I'm sure like all breeds, they will not all be equal in that area.

My first 5 were brooded by a WH and over half of them weren't even hers, and one was 2 weeks old when she accepted it. She brooded, all at the same time, two of her own, 2 WH/Cayuga mixes,
a 2 week old blue runner and 2 chicken chicks. Pretty amazing really.

Now, my Blue runner was 2 weeks older than all the rest of my 5 and even at 2 weeks she was
extremely motherly, taking care of the other when they came home with me, and Runners, in general, are not supposed to be good broodies. So go figure.

It also may be that she is just a new mom, or that there really was something wrong with the
ducklings and her instinct kicked in. So many different variables.

Best,

Muse 7

Hello ~

I just wanted to post here that I was rehoming a pair of my Welsh Harlequins. I listed here on BYC and on Craigs list. I am in Northern California. They are from Metzer and are pet quality. I was going to upload some pics, but I am on dial up , it does not want to do it. I can email pics if interested.
I had no idea dial up internet was still an option. lol

Why would we cull golds? They ARE the original standard in England. The silvers came later and are considered incorrect in the country of origin. I love them both. :)

Well, I would figure that if you were breading to the APA standard then you would cull out(sell, separate breeding pen, what ever, ) the golds. I was under the impression that as you said they were the breed standard for UK not US. I will keep my one gold and see if I can't breed some more and have both color pens for breeding.

I was going to do some back tracking and see what I should expect for odds of the gold offspring.

Back
Top Bottom