Welsummer - best Hatchery?

WoofMeowCluck

Dark Speckled Egg Lover
9 Years
Mar 9, 2010
Yeah, I know I should buy from a breeder, but honestly, don't have room for straight runs and have a full freezer at the moment. Can you recommend a Hatchey that has good quality Welsummer eggs? I absolutely love the dark speckled eggs!

I know how hard it is to try to purchase NPIP Welsummer pullets from a breeder, I've tried. I completely understand why they don't want to sell them! I'm looking for 4 to 5 pullets. I know it's possible to get that size order from Meyer but don't know anything about the quality of their egg color. Does anyone?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. THANK YOU!

Annie

I bought 25 welsummer pullets from Meyers last year. I received 2 welsummer male packing peanuts as well. All were vigorous and healthy. Their eggs were a nice terra cotta color with speckles. I crossed the welsummer roos over my EE hens and made olive eggers, too.
thumbsup.gif

We ordered Welsummer chicks from Meyer for March 11 delivery but they called the day they were to ship
to tell us their Welsummer females didn't hatch out so gave us a choice of several other breeds and we
chose Heritage Breed Barred Plymouth Rocks.

I still 'dream' about those gorgeous Welsummer dark mahogany colored speckled Welsummer eggs but
we are extremely pleased with our Meyer flock of 3 Roosters and 24 Pullets that we got from Meyer as
day olds and are now health, happy and laying so many pretty brown eggs we can't believe it!

We get a consistent 22 eggs DAILY from our 24 Barred Rock girls - they are 28 weeks old today.

Hope you enjoy your Welsummer chicks as much as we love our BRs. I would definitely recommend
Meyer and would order from them again in the future - I'm jealous that you live that close to the
hatchery!

Thanks so much for all the replies!

We've decided to wait until spring, keeping chicks in the garage until they are feathered out enough to join the flock and the drama that goes with it... well, spring/summer seems like a better time.

I have some beautiful Barred Rocks from Meyers, they are HUGE, very friendly, and just started to lay beautiful light brown eggs. We also have some RIR's, Speckled Sussex, a buff brahm, and some easter eggers that are all great.... they are all freindly, will sit on your lap and talk about their day. They might be a tad over weight, they're good eaters hahaha! The Barred Rocks are by far my favorites for size and personality PLUS!

Back
Top Bottom