Welsummer Egg Color

The Fairy Godmartyr

Songster
9 Years
Aug 7, 2010
I got my very first Welsummer egg today!
celebrate.gif

65004_welsummer_egg.png

My question is, will she always lay speckled eggs? I mean, I know that Easter eggers never change the color of their eggs (a blue layer will always lay blue, a green layer will always lay green, etc.). Is it the same principle with Welsummers? Or could she also lay the solid terra cotta eggs, too?

I have three Welsummers, so I'm sure I'll get different eggs. I'm just curious if I can expect to always have a speckled egg from this one.

She will continue to lay speckled eggs. Sometimes one would have more tinier speckles as time goes on or fewer speckles as she gets older. I never had one that would go "speckles-less" at anytime unless she lays solid colored ones (really, they are tiny, tiny speckles, blending with each other)

Interesting about the speckles. I have a Welsummer and a Cuckoo Marans. I've been getting a really pretty shiny terra cotta egg fairly regularly and occasionally a speckled egg like the OP's. I've wondered if the same hen laid both eggs. It sounds like one of them is a very consistent layer and the other isn't.
smile.png

for a long time I had 1 hen laying the rest were way to young (in the brooder) some days I got speckels some days not. RIR was the hen

I got both these eggs from my same olive Egger.

I got my very first Welsummer egg today!
celebrate.gif

65004_welsummer_egg.png

My question is, will she always lay speckled eggs? I mean, I know that Easter eggers never change the color of their eggs (a blue layer will always lay blue, a green layer will always lay green, etc.). Is it the same principle with Welsummers? Or could she also lay the solid terra cotta eggs, too?

I have three Welsummers, so I'm sure I'll get different eggs. I'm just curious if I can expect to always have a speckled egg from this one.
image.jpg

Interesting about the speckles. I have a Welsummer and a Cuckoo Marans. I've been getting a really pretty shiny terra cotta egg fairly regularly and occasionally a speckled egg like the OP's. I've wondered if the same hen laid both eggs. It sounds like one of them is a very consistent layer and the other isn't.
smile.png

I have no welsummers, but two of my flock are Dominant Copper(a Barred Rock x Maran cross). One lays a smooth terracotta colored egg, one lays a classic Maran dark brown... maybe a 5on the Maran scale(I don’t have a card yet, so it’s hard to tell from online). Some days, that hen has what I call “low toner” days 😂 maybe once a month, instead of a solid dark brown, it will be mottled with spots.

Below are the three mentioned. Speckled solo and the darkest egg in the group photo of 7 eggs are from the same hen, Pogo. The double yolk terracotta in the group of 4 eggs in my hand came from the Coquette

Attachments

• CBA7F048-D686-4BBA-9C20-0F6E2B714124.jpeg
    CBA7F048-D686-4BBA-9C20-0F6E2B714124.jpeg
    347.1 KB · Views: 24
  • B7CF7EAE-B5A9-4962-929B-D9F90B426FBE.jpeg
    B7CF7EAE-B5A9-4962-929B-D9F90B426FBE.jpeg
    304.7 KB · Views: 25
  • B1783A08-652A-4FEC-8AC1-AE04F49E626E.jpeg
    B1783A08-652A-4FEC-8AC1-AE04F49E626E.jpeg
    352.3 KB · Views: 24

Back
Top Bottom