Welsummer: Ginger or Gilligan?

Glad you'll get your refund! And hope he is a good one! If he starts getting 'cocky' when the hormones kick in, let your older girls teach him respect... works great for mine...

Very welcome! :)

Last edited:
If were were going to get an unexpected roo I'm glad he showed up now, with some older and much larger chickens to tell him what life's about. Of course, that doesn't mean he'll listen... but it's better than only having same age pullets getting victimized by little roo hormones.

Just for grins I'll post photo updates in case someone searches and is looking for comparison chicks at various ages to solve their mystery.
Gilligan has a much bigger comb, the dark red chest and neck feathers and his wattles are starting to turn red. The girls have the tan/salmon through their heads and necks and much smaller comb, though one is a darker shade all the way thru.

Day 33, (now) Gilligan is on the left, Mary Anne (significantly lighter) is on the right.

Day 33: Lovey (significantly darker) on the left and Gilligan on the right.

Day 33: Another shot of comb/wattles, Mary Anne on the left, Gilligan on the right.

Gilligan is sure getting very handsome! I hope his personality follows suit for you too!
smile.png

Thank you! Time will tell but so far things are going OK. He did take all Gus's back feathers out (wings cover the damage) so he did get an extremely careful little beak trim and file. The problem stemmed from Gus willingly standing there while Gilligan picked at his back, so between treating Gus and blunting the weapon, hopefully the problem goes away. Already there are signs of recovery and no problems for Gilligan.

Here's a more recent pic:

6 weeks- Group preening. Gilligan and Gus (his gray cockerel friend) and 3 of the girls did some synchronized grooming.

6 weeks: Gilligan front, Ginger very back

Back
Top Bottom