West Nile virus

wmarsh

Hatching
7 Years
Mar 9, 2012
We have had a case of West Nile virus reported in our neighborhood (an infected human). Is this something I need to worry about with my girls? If they get it, will it kill them? Do I need to worry about us getting it from them or passing to them?

To answer your question, I do not see a major problem yet. I have not heard of a major outbreak - but I don't know where you are either. Your best bet is to take precautions. Empty any standing water in and around your property, keep informed through your CDC (Center for Disease Control) of current outbreaks. It is spread by mosquitos, not by person to person or person to hen contact. It will not necessarily kill your hens, although they may get sick. For more info, here is a site you can check and there's lots more out there:
http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dvbid/westnile/wnv_factsheet.htm

I'm in California, I've been bit already 3 times this summer and I don't know where they are coming from. But I really would not worry about it, just take steps to cut down on their numbers any way you can - there are products out there to treat standing water if it cannot be drained. Btw, this warm weather does not help.

You asked a very relevant question esp for this time of year. I'm going to expound on it a little b/c I just saw this article today - felt it was worth sharing. This says city of Allen, don't know if that is where you are but doesn't matter. This gives a little more detail than the link I previously sent, so here goes the news article:

Three cases of West Nile Virus reported in Allen

By Conner Hammett, [email protected]

Published: Friday, July 27, 2012 12:56 PM CDT
Three probable human cases of West Nile Virus have been reported in Allen by the Collin County Health Department.

The report brings Collin County's total reported number of human West Nile cases this year up to five, with two cases reported in Plano last week. The last year instances of West Nile Virus were discovered in the county was 2009.

One of the cases was discovered on the west side of town and the other on the east, said Assistant Director of Planning and Development Lee Battle, who is working with the county on preventing the further spread of the disease in Allen.

Since West Nile Virus infections are caused by bites from mosquitoes carrying the disease, the city is working to minimize the mosquito population in the city limits, he said.

The city has a three-prong approach to mosquito control. First, areas that hold water such as creek beds, extension ponds and drainage areas are monitored for mosquito larvae and treated with a larvicide, which kills the larvae before they develop into adults, Battle said.

Second, the city's code enforcement and environmental health departments notify property owners if there is stagnant water on their property. In some cases, such as vacant houses where backyard pools are no longer being maintained, the city will treat the water with the larvicide before notifying property owners.

"Usually [the property] is owned by somebody, so when we find one we immediately treat it to get rid of the breeding of the mosquitoes," Battle said. "Then we notify the property owner to take care of the pool and get it cleaned or drained to get rid of the nuisance."

Third, Battle said, is public education: encouraging residents to take safety precautions to minimize the chance of being bit by a mosquito and to eliminate sources of stagnant water on their property such as fountains and plant pots.

"If it's something as simple as a bucket or bird bath, you can knock it over and drain the water yourself," he said.

A press release from the city said 24 stagnant swimming pools and more than 20 public areas with a history of holding water have been treated so far this year. Residents can report sources of stagnant water by calling 214-509-4160.

People bitten by mosquitoes should pay special attention to the symptoms typically associated with West Nile virus, said Collin County Chief Epidemiologist Peggy Wittie. She said there are two types of West Nile virus, West Nile fever and neuroinvasive West Nile, each of which has differing symptoms.

Eighty percent of all people bitten by infected mosquitoes show no symptoms, Wittie said. The remaining 20 percent are typically diagnosed with West Nile fever, which can last a few days to a few weeks. The incubation period for the disease is typically two days to two weeks.

The main symptoms of West Nile fever are fever, headache and fatigue, Wittie said. Infected persons could also have skin rash, swollen lymph glands and eye pain, but those symptoms appear only occasionally.

The more serious version of West Nile is considerably rarer, affecting about one in 150 infected people, according to the Centers for Disease Control. It may present itself as West Nile encephalitis, West Nile meningitis or West Nile poliomyelitis, and is especially dangerous for elderly people and those with compromised immune systems. The main symptoms for the more serious form are high fever, gastro-intestinal problems, seizures, weakness and changes in mental status, Wittie said. Severe symptoms such as paralysis and coma may also occur.

"If someone thinks they might have West Nile virus they definitely need to go to a doctor, especially if the symptoms last more than four days," Wittie said. "It may end up being West Nile virus even if you think it is something else."

The main way to prevent exposure to West Nile virus is to prevent mosquito bites in the first place. Wittie said using insect repellants with DEET is crucial, as is trying to avoid being outside at dawn and dusk when mosquitoes are most active. For those people that must be outside at those times, Wittie advises wearing loose-fitting, light-colored long sleeve shirts and long pants.

For information from the city regarding mosquito control, visitwww.cityofallen.org/index.aspx?NID=923.

Source is http://www.planostar.com/articles/2012/07/27/allen_american/news/072.txt

Thank you for your articles. I live in Oklahoma and unfortunately have a partially dried up creek bed in my backyard- way too big for me to treat. I know that the mosquitoes catch West Nile from biting infected birds...since chickens are birds, I didn't want them to get it then pass it to all of us with mosquito bites. I just need to know if there is a way to protect my girls and didn't know if it would kill them like it does the song birds. The case in our neighborhood was reported to the county health department. They said they would spray the neighborhood, but don't seem very concerned. They aren't interested in treating the large creek that runs through the neighborhood that is probably our biggest problem. I can't even go work in my veggie garden without being covered in mosquitos and that is with DEET bug spray on.
Thanks!

Several years ago I had a Quail contract WEE, Western Equine Encephalitis, similar in symptoms to West Nile and carried in the same fashion with mosquitoes. Let me tell you, it is NOT a pretty sight to watch a bird go thru this disease. They can have reoccurring symptoms years later and causes tremors, pancreatitis, lameness and a basic long winded illness.

Anyway, I spent months and months doing research on West Nile, WEE and EEE in attempt to ease this birds pains. HOWEVER, I did come across a web site on Chickens and West Nile Virus. From what I understand, only certain species of birds are suseptable to West Nile Virus, and Chickens are not one of them. Supposedly, after a Chicken is bitten by a mosquito with West Nile Virus, they develop antibodies to the virus within 4 days of being bitten. While other highly suseptable birds such as quail, will incubate the virus for 10 days and either combat it with their immune system or get full blown West Nile Virus.

But a long story short, generally, healthy Chickens will throw it off with their immune systems and you will never know they have been bitten by a mosquito with West Nile.

Well that is a little more comforting to know that chickens won't get it. I decided to track down the info, here's what I found confirming your statement Twocrowsranch - I'll just send the web site:

http://www.ksre.ksu.edu/library/lvstk2/ep117.pdf

But then I also found this site, which makes the whole matter somewhat confusing: its a PubMed site http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11007013 This one says while they did not show symptoms, when necropsied they did find pathological changes (to keep it short). Hmmm.

In any case, even if they don't get it, mosquitoes also carry other diseases too. I found out from one site that they can fly up to 10 miles. I kinda think that's pretty rare - I mean - why? if the nearest fast food place for them is right around the corner. Not to flood you with a whole lot of sites, I could not resist giving one more b/c this lists what works and what doesn't work in controlling them. I thought it was pretty good. If you use aerosols tho, just do your homework. Also read that someone had used the regular Bt (like from HomeDepot) in standing water and it worked. Oh, the site: http://www.ca.uky.edu/entomology/entfacts/ef005.asp

Hi I read your post and just wanted to share that I have chickens and ducks. I also have two ponds that I treat with clorox bleach or any cheap bleach for mosquitos.
my pond thats 55x 300 I dump a gollon of bleach in it every few weeks and it helps keep the mosquitos at bay. In the hen houses i put 3-4 drops per gallon of water to keep the slime and mosquitos under control. hope this will help you.

I wanted to ask if anyone has any more recent input on how West Nile affects waterfowl? Every research article i've found is primarily regarding chickens,the only reference to ducks has been that they don't develop enough virus to be considered a carrier.Which is good but I want to know exactly how it affects them, how to treat them and to protect them as well as possible? I lost 4 out of 6 mandy ducklings between 2 to 4 weeks old this summer.The first died suddenly,sitting upright,head dropped over to the side and with his eyes open. The second was the same. The third was paralyzed for a lil while before dying and the fourth as well. They were all running around like perfectly healthy lil ducks until they dropped suddenly. Nothing I did seemed to help them. I suspected botulism at first but literally tore my aviary apart looking for any standing water pockets,any decaying vegetation,...anything...never found any explanation.The older 2 mandy babies were fine and healthy and I didn't lose any of the 6 adults in the aviary. I've been hearing more similar strange reports from local waterfowl keepers but nothing concrete since the state apparently doesn't test waterfowl for WNV since they don't carry it... So I am trying to gather information to minimize losses from here on out...Anyone have any experience or information to share?

TwoCrowsRanch, I don't believe you. Our mystery chicken (sold to us as an Ameuracauna) had West Nile in summer 2012. It was definitely the serious kind. We had to tube feed her, and it was really scary (she couldn't hold her head out of her own poop and cried constantly, hasn't vocalized normally since) , but she made a full recovery in 24 hours. She might not have lived without help, though. Moral: Chickens are tougher than you think.
smile.png
No, you don't really have to worry. You can't catch it directly from the bird. If you wear bug repellent, you'll be fine.

Last edited:
I live in South Carolina and just lost two ducklings (7 weeks old, 8 weeks old) to West Nile virus. When the first one died, I was sad. When the second one got sick, I knew I had to protect my flock and I took it to the vet. When it died, I took it to Columbia (Clemson - State Vet) to get an autopsy. They are the ones that diagnosed West Nile virus. I have started to spray for mosquitoes, which have filled my yard all summer. I hate to spray because it kills crickets and other bugs which enrich my duck's diet. But... I am now spraying and purchasing dried bugs online for my ducks. I don't want to lose any more ducks.

Back
Top Bottom