west of England or homing pigeons?

McPhersonFarm

Songster
7 Years
Jan 18, 2013
Fort White, FL
I have the opportunity to acquire either west of England almond colored pairs or white homing pigeons. which would you choose and why? We are trying to start our farming as a business and have a new aviary. we already raise chickens ducks turkeys and quail.... any help is appreciated!

I'm having the same problem with tumbler and homers (I have both of them at the moment ) it depend what you want them for performance or color color for the west performance for both and the west are lighter the homers are stronger and heavier how many are you think of getting ?

I've had both breeds...and They are both just great! If you want to fly your birds or even train them to be released at weddings or races or whatever homers are the one! I have never had an issue with breeding homers but they do over all tend o be a bit more high strung...I've had a few that were not so much and of course it depends on how much you handle them. West of England tumblers are great as well! So pretty!! They can be harder to breed (who knows you might not have any problems) and because of the feathered feet they need the loft to be cleaned more often if you want to keep them looking nice... they are more for show don't fly nearly as well as the homers but I have found that they are more mellow...and I like the fat looking birds... So its more about what you are looking for!

I haven't had any before so I don't really know what I'm looking for! I have someone wanting me to get all they have if the homers allot thirty birds total. the one with the west England has up to thirteen pairs available....

Do you plan on flying them or not? One thing to consider is homers cannot be let loose or they will fly back to their owners. If I were to go with the homers I would sell all of them except 3-4 pairs to breed from, then the babies can be let out to fly. The Woe tumblers are pretty but they are not a performing breed an they do not fly real well. They would be easy hawk food so are best penned up. What are your goals with raising pigeons?

Last edited:
Good advice already given. Main thing is what you want them for. If meat, go with Homers, even though they really aren't big and 'specialized' meat birds...but still the best option of the two. You could do White Dove Releases if it 'tickled your fancy'. You have to know what you want them for.

Back
Top Bottom