Western Massachusetts

hi everybody, I posted a new topic because I couldn't find this thread earlier, but here you are. Had a visit from my town building comissioner yesterday and there is something going on in Easthampton. I was told I can't keep my chickens (fighting that) and then was told by the town clerk that a number of people have been in to town hall this week complaining that they have also received notice. I intend to go before the zoning and planning comission to ask that the ordinances be changed and was wondering if anyone else has any info that would help me make my case. My particular issue appears to be that no one can read a map, but I don't know what's going on with everyone else. Anybody have any ideas that might help? Since this thread is for my part of the state, thought this would be a good place to ask.

Hello all, my family and I live in Granby very close to some of you. We are really excited to be raising chickens...We are still doing our homework and self educating ourselves. I am loving the Silkies more and more. We are homeschoolers and my children can not wait. We are interested in Austalorps, Wyandotte, Amaraucanas(I found a breeder an 1hr and half from here) Brahmas, and Buff Orpingtons(i think)...AND the Silkie...We want them not vaccinated or de-beaked...We want babies....i am overwhelmed with info...Does anyone know where we can find a local hatchery- i would prefer local over ordering on line. We want to to start off with 10-15 female chicks. No rooster....Can any of you refer me to local, and if not a really good humane business that will respect our wishes and will sell me a small amount of chickens...This would be so helpful...
Idea-anyone local interested in getting together to show your chickens or chicks and discuss what this life can look like...we can come visit and help feed them?
Thanks.

Hi Earth! Welcome! I live about 25 mins from you in S. Deerfield. I have australorps, silkies and Wyandottes. I would be able to either hatch you what you are looking for, or sell you older juveniles depending on what you are looking for. If nothing else, we can talk chicken! I love having people around with similar interests.

hi everybody, I posted a new topic because I couldn't find this thread earlier, but here you are. Had a visit from my town building comissioner yesterday and there is something going on in Easthampton. I was told I can't keep my chickens (fighting that) and then was told by the town clerk that a number of people have been in to town hall this week complaining that they have also received notice. I intend to go before the zoning and planning comission to ask that the ordinances be changed and was wondering if anyone else has any info that would help me make my case. My particular issue appears to be that no one can read a map, but I don't know what's going on with everyone else. Anybody have any ideas that might help? Since this thread is for my part of the state, thought this would be a good place to ask.

Ugh! How awful. Sorry to hear that. I wish I had some words of wisdom, but I have never dealt or known of anyone in our area that has had that problem. It may be down the line for me though, as I just heard that chickens are allowed in SOME areas of my town and not others ???? Strange world we live in :(

I wish you the best and please keep us updated, I am sure we can do something to help ie write letters, make calls etc. Best of luck Mama!!

well, Easthampton is apparently more backward than even I had supposed after living here 8 years because my problem is that the town zoning map clearly shows my house is zoned residential, but all of the town computers say that I'm zoned industrial. My response was, "fix the computers" but apparently it's not that easy? And in order to dispute the violation notice, I have to pay 75 bucks to talk to the committee, and then pay more in filing fees to get them to act on it. Anything for sale up in Deerfield that looks nice for a small farm? Stupid things irritate me and this is just too stupid for words. In the words of my zoning enforcement officer, "Oh, no, the computer can't be wrong." Will pay to talk to the committee and pay more to get them to actually listen ( I guess) and then see what happens. The zoning commissioner told me my best bet is to petition to have the ordinances changed, but I don't usually win fighting city hall. I can slow them down some though if I bury them in paperwork. Good luck on your end, hope you live on the correct side of their imaginary lines.

Hi Fiddlehead, Valerie. Thank you so much for your response. I just emailed you through your Blog. Can't wait to talk to you.
Natalie

Hi everyone! My husband and I just moved to Shutesbury a few weeks ago and have already arranged to adopt a bantam roo named Little Lolo. He isn't doing well with the other rooster they have and we couldn't pass up the chance to bring this sweet little guy home. We are first time chicken parents. Early this summer Lolo's current mom will have some Brahma pullets to adopt to us but we were concerned about Lolo getting lonely in the meantime. Everything I've read about chickens indicates that they don't do well alone. I was wondering if anyone has any chicks (already sexed) or a hen they would be willing to sell us. We don't want to run the risk of accidentally getting another roo. Thanks!

Thanks Rozee
smile.png
I contacted one person from Craigslist about some hens yesterday and they had already been adopted. I am considering contacting the person with the 4 month old RIRs but am not sure if $20 is a reasonable price. Does anyone have any idea if this is a pretty normal cost? I have a friend who may be willing to part with one of her pullets if her husband is ok with it. He really loves their little chicks. I'll keep an eye on Craigslist.

It depends on the quality and age of the bird. 4 month old for a BQ hen is a fair price. If it is a hatchery chicken I would tell them to stick it in their...hat.

Just remember, if you are buying a chick, it is sometimes difficult to tell if they are male or female. If you want certainty, go with an older bird! Welcome and Good luck!

Thanks, Fiddlehead! My friend is giving me one of her RIR pullets (I think she's happy to have one less
yippiechickie.gif
) Next Saturday we're bringing them both home. Any thoughts on the best way to introduce them? I'll definitely quarantine. Both are from very trusted people with healthy flocks but I don't want to take any chances. Unfortunately all of the literature I can find is about introducing new birds to existing flocks. But neither of these two have ever been to my property. I suspect this will make things easier in terms of pecking order but I don't know the best way to approach their introduction. The roo is a year old and I'm not certain of the pullets age but she is at least a couple months away from laying age by the looks of her. It helps that he's a bantam and she is growing rapidly so I suspect she will be his size or larger by the end of quarantine. Speaking of which, I've read 2 weeks or 1 month. Which would you recommend? Any advise is greatly appreciated. Being new at this, I need all the help I can get.
hmm.png

Back
Top Bottom