Westminster, Colorado Underground Chicken Movement

There's a whole section on BYC on how to try to get ordinances changed. You need support of enough people to get city council to listen.

What a bureaucrat response. All he did was quote the regs which you already knew. Not even "I'm sorry, there's no process to grant individual exceptions" or suggestions on what to do if you think there should be a change or anything. Sounds like the guy who wrote back doesn't want chickens.

I would focus on finding like-minded people in your area to build a campaign to take to the the city council or whatever body can make changes.

ETA: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/37/local-chicken-laws-ordinances-and-how-to-change-them

I'd take your case to this forum to find folks in your area.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Thanks! I'm working on a FB neighborhood page to gather support: Cotton Creek Neighbors Westminster CO so please join if you're in the area. I'll eventually do a chicken page but I want to build a neighborhood community first to get to know people.

I'm glad to have found this board and am reading lots of pages and learning a lot. I appreciate your giving this page traffic; I'd love to make contact with the original poster...

I live in Westminster, I would support this. I know a few other who are also in support of this.

Any updates on this?
I did some checking and haven't seen anything in the city meeting notes...

I'm in Cotton Creek too...

I think this is doable, we just need someone with some time to do a petition and get the ball rolling with city hall.

Another Westminster resident for allowing Backyard Chickens here!
I'd be happy to support/help anyone looking to get these ordinances changed.
Cities all over the metro area are starting to change, Broomfield will have it on the ballot this November.
Let's get the ball rolling!

Hello,

I also used to live in Cotton Creek neighborhood. I had a stealth flock of 4 chickens from August 2009 to April 2012. My husband and I built a very nice "shed" to function as our coop. When my girls went to live outside, I did not tell any of the neighbors about their presence. Slowly, during the next 4-6 months, people approached me and asked if I had chickens. I always told the truth and told them I did. Every single time, without exception, they were supportive and thought the chickens were cool! In fact, I have never had a negative reaction when I tell people we have chickens. Where are all the chicken-hating people? I have yet to encounter one.

Anyway, since we lived pretty close to the elementary school and had people constantly walking by our back fence, I always knew some passerby could "rat me out". I was prepared to fight city hall if it came to that, but thankfully, it never did. I deliberately picked breeds that seemed to be quieter, but even they could sing a loud egg song when it came to it.

I really hope you have a successful endeavor in changing the laws. However, I would advise being outed first. If you do a search of the City of Westminster page for "chickens", some individual has already approached city council on two separate occasions to allow backyard chickens. Both time, the motion appears to have been tabled. I don't think Westminster is ready to give up its yuppie status and allow those "dirty, nasty, smelly chickens" into our nice, lovely suburban neighborhoods.

Since a lot of you live in Cotton Creek, it has already been "primed" for chickens. The minute you approach city hall, you will be "on the radar". If the ordinance is rejected, you can bet that they may decide to check and see if you are "misbehaving". I find it interesting that not only is Front Range Community College teaching courses in backyard chickens, but also the Murdoch's store at 92nd and Wadsworth sells chicks right there in the city limits! Times appear to be changing, but I think that Westminster will hold out for a long time. I hope and pray I am wrong!

At any rate, that's my story/experience with underground chicken keeping in Westminster,

Cheers.

That's great! I live in a different town different state but same exact story. The subject came up last month and they voted us down again. they actually said chickens would hurt our air quality! Can you believe that bull**** excuse! Funny because my town is built on farming. Hyporcites! I'm with you. Fly UNDER the radiar always best. If you go to the city your only targeting yourself! They are going to do what ever they want.... Its best to be invisible.... I wish you luck! I pray no one bothers my chickens ! Luckily I have no neighbors behind me! No one can see in my yard. thank God! I completely agree with what your saying. Its best to just lay low. God bless!

Back
Top Bottom