Wet Pox or Canker

drmoorejr

Chirping
May 29, 2018
Holly, Michigan
Hi,

I had a rooster infected with what I thought was CRD with Canker in his mouth. 4 days of Tylan50 he started to recover. After a few weeks with no symptoms he had to be culled because he had caughed up flesh that just hung from his mouth which looked like it was caused by a block salivary gland, and he was basically suffocating..

Another bird that I got from my father after he died in March (2021) started to show a sign of his right eye looking a bit watery. So I gave him 2 shots of Tylan50, a week later his mouth was full of the yellow cheesy matter that I did not notice the previous week. My daughter and I scraped out as much as we could. Now the question I have is this: Even as its been noted many times if the mouth stinks its Canker, its it possible that even with Wet Pox the bird can still have a stench in its mouth? Because I feel that while no documentation suggests this I am wonder if its been noted before. This is the rooster's third day with the severe illness, he ate scrambled eggs last night, but he breaths with his mouth open.

Canker is caused by pigeons swarming around the water where your chickens drink. Pox is caused by mosquitoes. You would see evidence in the way of having a presence of either mosquitoes or pigeons. That should help you narrow it down to one or the other. Maybe both if pigeons and mosquitoes are a nuisance.

The next thing is are you using the correct medication for this? Metronidazole is the med you want for canker.

Canker is caused by pigeons swarming around the water where your chickens drink. Pox is caused by mosquitoes. You would see evidence in the way of having a presence of either mosquitoes or pigeons. That should help you narrow it down to one or the other. Maybe both if pigeons and mosquitoes are a nuisance.

The next thing is are you using the correct medication for this? Metronidazole is the med you want for canker.
I started Metronidazole ~250 a day Sunday evening. We do not have pigeons, but I have also read that Canker can spread via Hawks, which we have plenty in the area as well as many wild birds. We do live next to a swamp with plenty of mosquitoes. However its been very cold and no mosquitos since (Early) September.

You're probably dealing with canker. Pox would produce at least some external lesions around the beak and face.

Did you know there's a vaccine for fowl pox? It can be bought without a prescription and administered to your flock yourself very easily. I'd advise looking into that as you live so close to a mosquito breeding source.

You're probably dealing with canker. Pox would produce at least some external lesions around the beak and face.

Did you know there's a vaccine for fowl pox? It can be bought without a prescription and administered to your flock yourself very easily. I'd advise looking into that as you live so close to a mosquito breeding source.
we plan on vaccinating in March. I am pretty sure there are no lesions on the face, I will look closer today after work.

we plan on vaccinating in March. I am pretty sure there are no lesions on the face, I will look closer today after work.
I also want to add that while we do have a lot of hawks and wild birds, these particular gamecocks do not have their waters outside of the penned area and it seem doubful that a bird could have access their waters.

Back
Top Bottom