Wet Spots in Coop in the Morning

BeyondBlessed

Songster
Jun 10, 2022
We have been noticing wet spots in the morning in the coop. It is not every morning, but when we find then, it is usually on this one side. It's not the side where most birds roost, but just 1 or 2 of these new girls we added. (We added them about a month or so ago). It is not colored, but leaves the shavings in there wet, so it is very noticeable. We haven't seen any sick birds, or any that seem weak or not eating. But we see these spots every other day or so. This morning, we woke up to two wet spots. I'm concerned someone could be puking? But not sure who, or why they seem fine throughout the day.

I read some things about sour crop- but a lot of those symptoms do not seem to be what we are dealing with. Is there a sure way to check?

Thanks so much!

I wonder if your newly added birds are dropping eggs from the roost (soft shelled or normal) and then they clean up the shell and most yolk before you get to the coop in the morning? They might not be totally settled into the routine of laying in their new home yet.

Do you happen to notice anything that looks like dried egg yolk or white around your birds' faces?

Just a thought, but if you haven't already, you could try a crop check first thing in the morning to make sure everyone is empty like they should be after the overnight fast. If you have a huge flock this might not be feasible though.

If it continues in the same spot/area of the coop, maybe there's a way to figure out who is roosting up above by marking the perch in some way. (I doubt chalk would mark them very well, and it would need to not interfere with their grip, but maybe someone else has other ideas lol.)

If you have a metal roof, it could be dew coming through nail holes that have loosened. I have seen that. If you find another place something in that spot to catch it, such as a piece of cardboard. Some chickens may have liquid watery poops sometimes, but there is usually some white urates or small pieces of fecal material as well. Are the wet spots near a waterer?

Thank you all so much! We do have a metal roof, but it has been quite dry.

But.. I did just go out and checked the "questionable " new one... (They are older than my girls.. I think over a year?) And she had a VERY hard lump on the right side on her chest. I think this is the area of the crop? It is night time, but I picked another girl up that is her same breed and she didn't have one at all. I mean, this thing was so hard, it felt like a solid piece of tissue. Is that normal right before bed for some birds? Or should it be more soft?

This one sleeps over on that side, which is why I thought she would be the one possibly getting sick.

I only have a flock of 12 girls, so checking each could easily be done. But I honestly have no clue what I am looking for. 🙈

Thank you all so much! We do have a metal roof, but it has been quite dry.

But.. I did just go out and checked the "questionable " new one... (They are older than my girls.. I think over a year?) And she had a VERY hard lump on the right side on her chest. I think this is the area of the crop? It is night time, but I picked another girl up that is her same breed and she didn't have one at all. I mean, this thing was so hard, it felt like a solid piece of tissue. Is that normal right before bed for some birds? Or should it be more soft?

This one sleeps over on that side, which is why I thought she would be the one possibly getting sick.

I only have a flock of 12 girls, so checking each could easily be done. But I honestly have no clue what I am looking for. 🙈
Good news is you can compare them without knowing what you are feeling for exactly. If she's hard in the morning too, and everyone else is flat (which they should be every morning), that's enough to support her having a crop issue. I'm in the same boat--still learning, so comparison is one of my best tools when trying to spot issues.

Good news is you can compare them without knowing what you are feeling for exactly. If she's hard in the morning too, and everyone else is flat (which they should be every morning), that's enough to support her having a crop issue. I'm in the same boat--still learning, so comparison is one of my best tools when trying to spot issues.
Thank you so much!! I will check first thing in the morning. ❤️

Update: I am pretty sure it is a lot of diarrhea. Coming from one bird. Her spot in the coop has been filling with diarrhea now. I got her from a friend a few months ago, and it has been happening since. 🤔 She is the only one with any poop issues.

They have been on scratch and peck feed organic feed, and have recently switch to another organic crumble from Big Sky. (Given wet). This is available all the time, and they also have grit and oyster shells always available.

I feed them eggs (raw and scrambled), black oiled sunflower seeds (not frequently), and fresh fruit and veggies.

They were on the smaller side when I got them and have been putting on weight since we recieved them. But the poo issue in this one seems to not change much. It did seem to be just watery when I saw it in the morning... and not seems to have some consistency. Think applesauce texture.

Should I try probiotics? I have seen people mention apple cider vinegar. Would it be a good idea to make my own buttermilk using milk and ACV? Mix it up with some food for them?

Back
Top Bottom