What’s the deal with you chicken people??

Pics
Welcome Zelda.
I wanted to read the whole thread before reacting but that seems a ‘ondoenlijke’ or impossible no go. Thanks for the spirit!

Time for a lesson in Dutch and Chicken breeds.

Schijndelaar is the name of a village in the Netherlands. The same country as where the have they heavy G and Ch, rolling R’s (think of ‘s Gravenhage where our government is settled).
The ij sounds the same as ei in Dutch which means egg.

Lots of breeds find their origin in the Netherlands an Belgium, because we have lots of weird people and chicken keepers here. Some think it’s a hobby to breed to perfection or ‘manufacture’ new breeds.

The Schijndelaar is a rather new and fancy breed developed by a man who lives in Schijndel. : White chicken. Beautiful tail and green eggs.

Is it possible you mean D’Uccle? Only the duloopers seems another breed.
Bearbue de Watermael or
Barbue d'Uccle

We have a great site in the Netherlands with all the chicken breeds that are possibly available in Western Europe. A wonderful site to get a feeling of the possibilities. Most in Dutch but the names are spelled in English too. Take a look around for fun. And practice the pronounciation. 😛🤭🤣

Barbue d'Uccle

Schijndelaar

Chickens A - O

Chickens P - Z
Wow thank you so much!

He’s absolutely perfect! A perfect pip, 9 hours later started to zip and an hour later out he popped.
Hes a loner, had to rush to hatchery and grab him a buddy. My 3 week olds are massive compared to him. So.. here’s a black Australorp (that’s what the guy said) Named J.C and the hatchling sleeping I’ve named Murphy.
@tlcmurphy was literally the person I was replying to when he/she pipped seems fitting.

Attachments

• IMG_1170.jpeg
    IMG_1170.jpeg
    700.2 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1171.jpeg
    IMG_1171.jpeg
    609.1 KB · Views: 1
Hes a loner, had to rush to hatchery and grab him a buddy. My 3 week olds are massive compared to him. So.. here’s a black Australorp (that’s what the guy said) Named J.C and the hatchling sleeping I’ve named Murphy.
@tlcmurphy was literally the person I was replying to when he/she pipped seems fitting.
What a sweetheart. Very cute chick. Please send us pictures with them together!!! I really wanna see. :love

I’ve got to get him drinking. (Water-don’t get any ideas) every time I dip his little beak in the water, he just looks like “why did you do that” lol
Don't worry about that yet. He just absorbed all that yolk, and is probably not thirsty.

I like to put a few colorful marbles in the water, because then chicks will dip their own beaks as they try to peck those shiny things. After a few days, I take out the marbles because they are a nuisance every time I change the water, but by then the chicks are past the point of needing any help.

Don't worry about that yet. He just absorbed all that yolk, and is probably not thirsty.

I like to put a few colorful marbles in the water, because then chicks will dip their own beaks as they try to peck those shiny things. After a few days, I take out the marbles because they are a nuisance every time I change the water, but by then the chicks are past the point of needing any help.
Oh thank you so much, and I have marbles! How long after hatching should she poop? She pooped once right after hatching but so far nothing else. No pasty butt as far as I can see. Very active.

Adorable, Murphy seems amazing so far. J.C reminds me of one of my black australorp chicks that passed but she lived longer than her siblings :hit
But if you are having suspicions about it being a australorp or not it definitely is.
Yeah I do not know breeds at all! JC is a just black chick to me.
I’m sorry about your chicks, what happened? If you don’t mind me asking.

Oh thank you so much, and I have marbles! How long after hatching should she poop? She pooped once right after hatching but so far nothing else. No pasty butt as far as I can see. Very active.
There will probably not be too much poop until after the chick starts eating more, because there is not too much stuff inside the digestive tract when a chick hatches.

If the chick does not seem to be in distress, I would not worry about whether it poops or not in the first few days.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom