What a wreck

We have been wiped out by coyotes. Several years ago, we were on a trip - gone for several weeks. My mom was letting the chickens out for the day, then coming back and locking them up again. Two days before we were to return home, she let them out, came back a few hours later and they were gone. Over 20 of them. She found one of our rooster’s tail feathers, nothing else. It had to be a family of coyotes. That’s the only predator I can think of that could make that many chickens disappear.

In a way - I agree with you. Daylight predators for me have nearly always been coyotes. Not much for feathers and gone. But most of these birds were leghorns and I am telling you they are flightiest birds I have ever been around. I could see loosing some, but why didn't they fly up out of reach? Lost 9.

Two pullets were in the coop on the roost, Bye out in the yard. You can see there had been one hell of a fight, feathers everywhere that were his. The next morning in came the Matriarch. She had been brooding chicks about 4 weeks old.

Buy came staggering in out of the brush, looking like death warmed over. Blood all over, tail feathers all gone, pretty sure blind in one eye, and probably both. He could walk, but slowly. I waited a day... ugh

Hate this hobby sometimes. Had to be coyotes. Ugh

Mrs K

In a way - I agree with you. Daylight predators for me have nearly always been coyotes. Not much for feathers and gone. But most of these birds were leghorns and I am telling you they are flightiest birds I have ever been around. I could see loosing some, but why didn't they fly up out of reach? Lost 9.

Two pullets were in the coop on the roost, Bye out in the yard. You can see there had been one hell of a fight, feathers everywhere that were his. The next morning in came the Matriarch. She had been brooding chicks about 4 weeks old.

Buy came staggering in out of the brush, looking like death warmed over. Blood all over, tail feathers all gone, pretty sure blind in one eye, and probably both. He could walk, but slowly. I waited a day... ugh

Hate this hobby sometimes. Had to be coyotes. Ugh

Mrs K
Unless they were cornered or caught by surprise… I just can’t figure out what else may have gotten them.

Back
Top Bottom