WHAT AGE COULD THEY FLY

I figured I would pop on and add to this thread.

A pure ,true junglefowl can and will fly just as well as any other wild gamefowl (partridge ,pheasant ,etc) They are extremely light bodied flighty birds. So to sum things up ,junglefowl can fly as far as they wish. They are great fliers.

A true hen will brood and be protective over her chicks.But only expect 1-2 clutches a year.

Pure birds will not free range. They will leave once you let them out.

Also while the odd junglefowl can tame down ,as a whole the true RJF have a very large flight distance.

Also true junglefowl are not very winter hard either.

However ,this is for pure junglefowl. Any ,and I mean any "junglefowl" you buy from a hatchery is a guaranteed mutt bird. 90%+ of birds from private breeders are mutts as well.

Yes ,hatchery birds can fly quite well for a domestic chicken ,and not like a brown leghorn. More like an old english game.

Since you are interested in these birds, I found some that I believe to be of good quality at a very reasonable price. The guys name is John York and he has these listed on www.gbwf.org under the forums section. I am ordering 3 trio for myself and I will bet that they will go pretty fast at these prices. John said that these birds are from 5 different strains that came from Legette Johnson in Tennessee. Also, he said these were the same strain of birds that were photographed for a Nat Geo article "How Man Tamed The Wild" as they did athe actual filming at this mans house. http://photography.nationalgeographic.com/photography/photo-of-the-day/red-jungle-fowl/ Lastly, I bet they fly pretty good
smile.png

Best of luck to you,
Mark Hall

Here is the ad.

Red Junglefowl, 2012 hatch -- pairs $50 and trios $75
Grey Junglefowl 2011 and 2012 hatch, pairs and extra males (all siblings)
Grey Peacock Pheasants all 2012 hatch $375 pair, males $125
Box and Shipping are ExtraJ
John York in California
e-mail [email protected]or phone 916 409-9276

Back
Top Bottom