What age did your hens lay their first egg?

Okay, I got 3 eggs so far today! My girls are 16 weeks. One started at 15 weeks and two started at 16 weeks. Red sex links. I was so relieved because I got these "false labor" behaviors for two days. I didn't know they did that. One in particular acted like she was laying, complete with bearing down, for two days but was not egg bound. We've bonded the past few days.
1f602.png

Some of our pullets are starting to play in the nest boxes, rearranging the straw and scooting the dummy eggs around. :) maybe that's a sign they are scoping out the place in preparation of laying soon.
fl.gif

Last edited:
I have 6 golden sex links myself that are about 13 weeks old. I haven't noticed any squatting or any extra vocalization, but I check for an egg every day out of optimism. :) When do you start giving them oyster shell? I still have their next boxes boarded up so they don't poop in there, should I uncover those and get them ready? I'm a first timer also. I've only got one so far who likes to be petted, the rest either run or peck the crap out of me.

I have 6 golden sex links myself that are about 13 weeks old.  I haven't noticed any squatting or any extra vocalization, but I check for an egg every day out of optimism.  :)  When do you start giving them oyster shell?  I still have their next boxes boarded up so they don't poop in there, should I uncover those and get them ready? I'm a first timer also.  I've only got one so far who likes to be petted, the rest either run or peck the crap out of me.

I will wait 3-4 more weeks before I will offer oyster shells free choice. I will also unboard the nests on day time for them to explore.

I was admittedly caught off-guard by them laying eggs so soon. I thought I had another month. Mine didn't start getting oyster shell until a few days after the first few chickens started laying. We've had 2 soft-shelled eggs out of probably 20. Most of them are actually harder than store-bought eggs.

Quick question for you guys

My chickens are 16 weeks old and they're coop isn't very big (but they can all fit in there surprisingly) but they don't really like dark places so I keep the back coop door open (it's for easy access to clean but I also leave it open for ventilation because it's in the 100's here) but I also leave the nest box roof propped open too which they like to go in the coop and check them out and the dummy eggs I have in them. I read that they like to lay eggs in dark places so will this make them not want to lay eggs in the nest? (I open the nest up around 9-10 am and leave it open till 8pm to leave it closed for the night but I leave the back door open all the time)

Quick question for you guys

My chickens are 16 weeks old and they're coop isn't very big (but they can all fit in there surprisingly) but they don't really like dark places so I keep the back coop door open (it's for easy access to clean but I also leave it open for ventilation because it's in the 100's here) but I also leave the nest box roof propped open too which they like to go in the coop and check them out and the dummy eggs I have in them. I read that they like to lay eggs in dark places so will this make them not want to lay eggs in the nest? (I open the nest up around 9-10 am and leave it open till 8pm to leave it closed for the night but I leave the back door open all the time)

Disclaimer: I'm a rookie. However, I bet they'll see the dummy eggs and get the idea. We get most of our eggs by 9 am so if they can't get into the nest until you open it, then you might open it up a little earlier. I was woken up at 6:30 am yesterday by several ladies singing their egg laying song.

Hey y'all, I was wondering what age did your pullets give you their first egg? I am eagerly anticipating the time when our 12 chickens will come into lay. 

Already got their nest box built and stocked with straw and dummy eggs. The first batch of pullets just turned 15 weeks Wednesday and the second batch are 14 weeks today. We have a mix of barred rocks, red stars, a rhode island red, wyandottes, brahma, sussex and california white. :) Post the age at which you got your first egg from your hens!
my 17 week old Leghorns just produced the first egg yesterday.

Disclaimer: I'm a rookie. However, I bet they'll see the dummy eggs and get the idea. We get most of our eggs by 9 am so if they can't get into the nest until you open it, then you might open it up a little earlier. I was woken up at 6:30 am yesterday by several ladies singing their egg laying song.

Alright ty! Now it's back to the waiting game, I go in their coop each morning and before I open up the nests I ask them "did you guys lay me an egg today?" And then I would open it and see there was only the dummy eggs and I'll say "ok nvm" as they all start coming up into the coop to visit me :lau

Back
Top Bottom