What age do Ducks start to lay?

Pics
From what I read in Storey's ducks don't NEED a nesting box, but can be trained to use one. The free range ones will still lay eggs but you never know where until you happen across the eggs. I was also told by a breeder at a swap meet today that her ducks have tendencies to lay their eggs before 8 am each day. I don't know if that's a trait for all ducks or not. I'm still learning myself.
wink.png

It can be. I enjoy my ducks - even when they are being pains, lol. A little girl took one of my runner drakes a little over a month ago. She wanted the Ruoen drake, too. I offered to deliver the Rouen, so I could check on the runner. OMG! She had 5 drakes (including my runner) in a pen with 1 poor 3 - 4 month old Rouen duck hen. I told her no on my drake and explained to her why. She was about 11 years old. I talked to her grandma, too, about what would happen to that poor girl duck. I thought about it for a couple of days and called the grandma back. I told her that, if she was okay with it, I would give her granddaughter one of my hens (who was already laying), if she could
get a couple of the boys rehomed and get the duck pen cleaned up and enlarged. She called me a week later and let me know they were working on it and had ordered sand to take care of the drainage issues (the pen had been a muddy, poopy mess) and were getting more fencing. I took her my 2 best laying Pekins last weekend. She was so excited! I did let her know that I would be checking on them and that they had to come back to me if anything happened that she could not keep them any longer. She wants to stay in touch and come visit my ducks. I think her grandma was very surprised about it all. She stays in touch - always apologizing for bothering me with duck questions, lol. Her granddaughter reminds me of myself at that age. I was just glad I was in a position to help out.

Thanks Dragonshiner!
I have got to get that book!
If they do lay early in the morning I should be able to keep them in the coop till after they lay and then open the door. Do you think?

The White goldens and Rouns started to lay at 17 weeks, and by 25 weeks all were laying an egg a day.

For the 9 hens i put in 3 nest boxes to see their preference. The best was a wooden grape box with the side removed. They like a ddop nest. During the winter I had them in the greenhouse and they preffered corners where they made depressions about 6 inches deep . They would kind of cover them up.

Once i moved them into the duckhouse they used the boxes all the time. Most of your eggs will be layed before 6 am, but a few would get around to it at 8 or 9.

To train them, I kept them inside till 8 or so even theough they were fed and eggs collected by 6. Dont have time to go on egg hunts.

Those 3 males will mate her until she is in shreds. You want 3 - 4 females to 1 male. Unless you plan to get some females that are mating size you need to keep the males away from her. 4 males can be viscious - not only will they gang style her all the time but they will fight each other over her as they mature. Sorry but it is the ugly truth.

I haven't noticed mine making any special noise. They lay around five in the morning, and I hear no more than their typical chatter, with the occasional, "Hey lady!!!! Get up!!! Let us out!!!"

Quote:
When you see these small oval things in their pen you should have your answer. Each strain is different. Our Buff Ducks from Ideal poultry started laying at about 5 months old. The Metzer Buff Ducks started at about 6 months old. It variers by breed, variety and strain on all poultry, not just ducks.

Back
Top Bottom