What age do Ducks start to lay?

There are some clues, at least, there were with my runners.

First, Storey's Guide said that smaller breeds can start laying as early as sixteen weeks.

At about twelve weeks, the girls (no drakes) started acting out breeding behaviors - so I took a guess that this was the beginning of their systems maturing. I started setting out oyster shell free choice at that time, since the recommendation was to start o.s. about a month before they start to lay (I asked myself, "so how do I know ahead of time?"). I think it was a good guess. At 16 weeks, 4 days someone laid her first egg, and it took another six weeks for everyone else to begin.

In other areas of behavior, it is obvious the ducks have not read the books. Cold tolerance, dark tolerance, reputation for being high strung, nothing like what the books say.

In other areas of behavior, it is obvious the ducks have not read the books.

yuckyuck.gif

same thing i was wondering, i have 3 ducks obviously its bad that 2 are males and 1 is a hen but they are all around 17 weeks old and i have not seen them mate and i have not found an egg yet... They free range all day but i look in all the places i see them. They are all Silver Welsh Harlequins.. any ideas on why they are not mating and not laying?

my oldest hen is a 7 month old pekin. still no eggs, my 2 cayugas are 2 months younger and no eggs either. what gives?

I have a female muscovy duck.Shes six months old.And she still hasent layed any eggs.Im not sure why but if anybody knows why can they please tell me. Is it cos she lives in a purple cage inside the shed? Does she need a nest box or do you think its too cold.Thanks:)

welcome-byc.gif

I have a female muscovy duck.Shes six months old.And she still hasent layed any eggs.Im not sure why but if anybody knows why can they please tell me. Is it cos she lives in a purple cage inside the shed? Does she need a nest box or do you think its too cold.Thanks:)

Is she getting sunshine, hopefully she has outside time and isn't living in a purple cage all the time. I know it's hard to wait but usually all the factors mentioned cause the ducks to start or not too, weather daylight heat cold. age, usually between 5-7 months for most ducks. you really don't want them to lay too early which can cause prolaspe more likely. so just be patient and before you know it there it will be one morning waiting for you to collect it.

She always lives in the purple cage. And she always has since we got her. Do i need a coop or a softer cage for her.I've been checking on the internet and ebay for a coop but their really expensive. We always let her out in the garden at 11 til 7. And inside the cage we put newspaper, should we put something softer? Many thanks:))

She always lives in the purple cage. And she always has since we got her. Do i need a coop or a softer cage for her.I've been checking on the internet and ebay for a coop but their really expensive. We always let her out in the garden at 11 til 7. And inside the cage we put newspaper, should we put something softer? Many thanks:))

Back
Top Bottom