What age do OEGB cockerels get their full colours?

JaeG

Crossing the Road
7 Years
Sep 29, 2014
New Zealand
We have ended up with a gorgeous OEGB cockerel. He looks like he will be a golden duckwing, and I'm wondering how long it will take for him to molt into his 'adult' colouring?

Fox.jpg
Fox.jpg

He is the sweetest thing and will settle down in my hand to be patted. His sister, who looks to be a full black breasted red (which is what their mother was), is larger than he is (he's tiny) but she's just as sweet and loves being patted too. They have just turned 8 weeks old.

I don’t know the answer but he is gorgeous! :love

And I hope you are doing well!! Been a while.

He's adorable and such a baby. I'm so glad we're on our farm now and can keep him.

I'm doing alright - it's very rainy at my end of the world at the moment, but that's a good thing after the drought we've been having.

How are things with you?

He's adorable and such a baby. I'm so glad we're on our farm now and can keep him.

I'm doing alright - it's very rainy at my end of the world at the moment, but that's a good thing after the drought we've been having.

How are things with you?
That’s awesome!! :love he’s super handsome!

I have a cockerel myself now too though he’s full sized haha I love him!

And I’m glad you’re finally getting some rain!! It’s been very dry and hot here!! Humid too but no rain hence the dry 😂🤣

Things are good here though!! I added some new chicks in April and just hatched quail a few weeks ago so I’m expanding. 😂🤣

I’ve had a few losses and had to put down a couple of young birds (Mareks) so that sucks but the rest of the flock is doing great! And my vegetable garden is looking great this year too. I’ve been building like crazy though with all these new birds :lau

How’s life on the farm!? Do you still have the cows!?

That’s awesome!! :love he’s super handsome!

I have a cockerel myself now too though he’s full sized haha I love him!

And I’m glad you’re finally getting some rain!! It’s been very dry and hot here!! Humid too but no rain hence the dry 😂🤣

Things are good here though!! I added some new chicks in April and just hatched quail a few weeks ago so I’m expanding. 😂🤣

I’ve had a few losses and had to put down a couple of young birds (Mareks) so that sucks but the rest of the flock is doing great! And my vegetable garden is looking great this year too. I’ve been building like crazy though with all these new birds :lau

How’s life on the farm!? Do you still have the cows!?

I am loving it on the farm.

Our cows are doing well. We've discovered four of them have the bad habit of trying to suckle on others (which can happen when they are hand reared). They will eventually end up in the freezer (we'll call the home kill guys to do it though). I have one beautiful, sweet girl who I'm sure will let me milk her when she's old enough. She's a real sweetheart and she's so soft to pat.

How's it going with the quail? Don't they grow crazy fast?!

Sorry about having to put down some of your birds - that must've been hard.

We must sort out some gardens to grow some things, and we need to plant mandarin trees. It's been the season for mandarins here and our son eats them like lollies.

Hope you are doing ok in the heat and humidity. Humidity is no fun!

I am loving it on the farm.

Our cows are doing well. We've discovered four of them have the bad habit of trying to suckle on others (which can happen when they are hand reared). They will eventually end up in the freezer (we'll call the home kill guys to do it though). I have one beautiful, sweet girl who I'm sure will let me milk her when she's old enough. She's a real sweetheart and she's so soft to pat.

How's it going with the quail? Don't they grow crazy fast?!

Sorry about having to put down some of your birds - that must've been hard.

We must sort out some gardens to grow some things, and we need to plant mandarin trees. It's been the season for mandarins here and our son eats them like lollies.

Hope you are doing ok in the heat and humidity. Humidity is no fun!
I’m glad it’s going well with the cows and farm and everything!! They sound amazing! :love assuming the kids must be loving it!? :D

And it’s going well!! Hopefully moving them outside tomorrow!! They are starting to get big and stinky 😂🤣🙈 but yessss! They grow insanely fast!! I can’t believe how big they are already! :th

And thank you. It definitely was. :( especially the little female. :( had to put the a cockerel and a pullet down about a month apart and I’m hoping my current cockerel isn’t next. :fl I had never killed anything before and didn’t think I could do it but I think knowing they were suffering helped, even though it was sad.

I was very late getting my garden in this year and still some things aren’t planted yet 😂🤣🙈

Are mandarins similar to clementines? If so, I love those! :love I don’t think we can grow them here though. Though when my parents lived in Florida they had an orange tree in the yard. :love

And thanks! It’s definitely not especially when coupled with 90 degree heat and sun haha I’m sure that seems cool to you but we’re not used to it 😂🤣🙈

It thankfully cools down some at night though and we have one of the air conditioners in. I’ve been sleeping on the couch in there 😂🤣

I’m glad it’s going well with the cows and farm and everything!! They sound amazing! :love assuming the kids must be loving it!? :D

And it’s going well!! Hopefully moving them outside tomorrow!! They are starting to get big and stinky 😂🤣🙈 but yessss! They grow insanely fast!! I can’t believe how big they are already! :th

And thank you. It definitely was. :( especially the little female. :( had to put the a cockerel and a pullet down about a month apart and I’m hoping my current cockerel isn’t next. :fl I had never killed anything before and didn’t think I could do it but I think knowing they were suffering helped, even though it was sad.

I was very late getting my garden in this year and still some things aren’t planted yet 😂🤣🙈

Are mandarins similar to clementines? If so, I love those! :love I don’t think we can grow them here though. Though when my parents lived in Florida they had an orange tree in the yard. :love

And thanks! It’s definitely not especially when coupled with 90 degree heat and sun haha I’m sure that seems cool to you but we’re not used to it 😂🤣🙈

It thankfully cools down some at night though and we have one of the air conditioners in. I’ve been sleeping on the couch in there 😂🤣

I think mandarins are your clementines. I always forget to check as there are quite a few things that have a different name in the US as compared to here. I love them too but I barely get one before DS has hoovered them all up. 🤣

90 degrees is a bit hotter than it gets here. I don't blame you for sleeping next to the air conditioner! A bit like our cat who hopefully sleeps next to the heater all day, whether it is on, or off. 🤣 We are all missing having a wood burner but once we finally sell the caravan we'll have a bit of spare cash to put one in.

Back
Top Bottom