What age do you put ducklings outside?

Arztwolf

Songster
5 Years
Aug 5, 2014
SW Texas
Right now my pair of Black Runners are 4 weeks old, what is the best age to put them outside with a mixed flock? The lowest it gets, day or night, is the 30s and the highs are only 70-80s.

Put them out when they are fully feathered. They can start regulating their own temperate around 6 weeks old. If you're keeping them under a heat lamp taking that from them to putting them straight outside can put them in shock. Start taking it away during the day and then at night for a few nights gradually let them become accustomed to the climate change. Good luck!

Put them out when they are fully feathered. They can start regulating their own temperate around 6 weeks old. If you're keeping them under a heat lamp taking that from them to putting them straight outside can put them in shock. Start taking it away during the day and then at night for a few nights gradually let them become accustomed to the climate change. Good luck!

The haven't been under the heat lamp for about a week. When can I stop giving them Brewer's Yeast? These are my first quakers and I'm still getting used to them.

They are HUGE compared to the White Leghorn and Delaware they share the brooder with. The four are inseparable though; take the chicks out and the ducklings SCREAM and throw themselves against the walls, take the ducklings out and the chicks SCREAM and flutter around. Even if I put the two chicks in with the bantam chicks, they still loose their minds and fly kamikaze like into the walls.

The brewers yeast should be given until they are 10 weeks.

Sounds like it would best to keep everyone together when you start introducing them to their new flock. It would be less stressful for all of them. I believe the chicks are going to be the deciding factor on when they can go outside. If the temperature where they are now is about the same as the outside temps you can start taking them outside during the day. Just make sure it's in a secure enclosure and the older birds can't get to them (you probably already knew this but just had to say it). This will also give everyone a chance to get to know each other. It's also nice because they won't dirty the brooder as quickly.

Depends if u have more than 1. If u have only 1 i strongly advise you to buy another one.
I know this could sound dumb but they do die from loneliness (my duck did :( RIP HILARY )
Well i build a house for my two ducklings (Hilary And Harrison) (pekin ducks)
So i place them outside to run around from 7:30 am to 4pm or earlier with some food and water
BTW WATER IS VERY IMPORTANT FOR DUCKS THEY CANT EAT WITHOUT WATER.
then at 4 i just place them back into their home. Im not sure where u are but before it gets dark. Both of my neighbours have cats

Back
Top Bottom