What age to introduce new chickens to existing flock?

Thank you for the confirmation that it will be just fine if I force the issue.  Chickens be on notice that you will get along well enough to sleep together so be ready!
[/quote
I've been wondering that too with cool weather on the way. I have 3 original girls and 1 girl I added later....all about 1 year old. The newest girl has slept on a roost in the run since she joined our group. The "old" 3 sleep in the coop. I guess I too will be setting her in the coop with the others. Should I lock the door?

I have started leaving the coop door open to the lower screened in area where the chicks sleep. Bubba rooster and Itty Bitty hen come on down in the morning forcing a close togetherness to happen. I can't say that Itty Bitty is being more gracious, but Bubba now feeds very close to the younger girls without incident. Last night Itty Bitty came down for bananas that I had tossed to the youngsters and raised a ruckus wanting them all for herself. I will be forcing the young ones to sleep in the coop soon hoping this gradual morning get together might help with the need for Itty Bitty to be a bossy hen before I do it.

May I hop in for some advice here? I have 8-9 week old girls who have been in an interior pen with my big girls for a couple of weeks now during the day. The big girls free range and when I'm in the yard I let the little girls wander too (they spend a good amount of time digging in my garden with me and eating any good treats we find.). This week the bigs an little have started wandering together just about with 6 to 8 feet between them most of the time (2 littles and 3 bigs make my flock). Last night I put the littles in the bigs coop and this morning they're in the run and all getting along. The bigs are interested but not being aggressive. This is maybe week three of being around each other thru wire. Am I screwing up big time by doing this? An I being tricked by dumb beginners luck that will run out?

Also if they do integrate well, what do I do about feed? My bigs are on lay pellets but barely eat it because they range most days. My littles are on medicated chick starter feed. If my bigs get into that are their eggs safe? My littles range too but not as often/long...if that supplements some of their medicated feed will they be okay? I'm keeping as natural as I can but trying to be flexible for the health of my girls.

Thanks guys I know this is a lot...so thankful for all the knowledge here!!
Here's a web site that will answer your questions. Do not feed medicated food to layers, the medication will transfer to the egg and to you.

http://www.mypetchicken.com/backyar...ake-sure-that-our-older-laying-hens-H129.aspx

IM going through same with my flock...my chicks are on unmedicated tho. I've been feeding my big girls crumbles, so they're all eating the same food. I haven't let them free range yet but will in a few days.

Any body can help me I got a almost laying age buff orphinton hen bout 5 months orvsix but I got 4 8week old chicks I introduced them and the older on was pecking them is that natural and how long does it last seems kinda mean but I'm new help

Any body can help me I got a almost laying age buff orphinton hen bout 5 months orvsix but I got 4 8week old chicks I introduced them and the older on was pecking them is that natural and how long does it last seems kinda mean but I'm new help
I can only tell you my experience. We had three 9 month old chickens, then got three 7 week old chicks. We separated them by a fence, but they could still look at each other for about two months. Then incorporated them in with the older girls. I took 6 months for all of them to tolerate each other, there was picking but no one got hurt. The little girls stayed away from the older ones.

Now they seem to tolerate each other most of the time, the older girls still seem to be the bosses. It's been 7 months and I don't see any improvement. But at least they all know their boundaries.

I agree with the above! Every situation is always diifferent. Having them see each other before intergration is beneficial. The pecking order will happen no matter what! Mine went through it twice and they're all good now! They snuggle at night together :) good luck!

Yup thank I'll try put the broader in the run for to month then let them out thanks a lot o bye the way its just one older hen so I don't no but here's a pic

So my question is how much longer till i can put these guys in the coop? & of i do will i need to make sure the red lamp is still there for them? (The three littlest ones im not asking about)

I just want to make sure I do this correctly and when the best age would be. I will let them see my other flock for a couple weeks prior to letting them all be in together.

Back
Top Bottom