What age to introduce new chickens to existing flock?

So my question is how much longer till i can put these guys in the coop? & of i do will i need to make sure the red lamp is still there for them? (The three littlest ones im not asking about)

I just want to make sure I do this correctly and when the best age would be. I will let them see my other flock for a couple weeks prior to letting them all be in together.
If they are going to a pen/coop by themselves, then they can go out now with their heat source. Or you can wait till they are six weeks or fully feathered and then put them out without the heat. Generally most wait till the young ones are twelve weeks before putting them with the rest of the flock.

So my question is how much longer till i can put these guys in the coop? & of i do will i need to make sure the red lamp is still there for them? (The three littlest ones im not asking about)

I just want to make sure I do this correctly and when the best age would be. I will let them see my other flock for a couple weeks prior to letting them all be in together.
How old are they? Is the weather warm where you are? I usually wait until they have full feathers around 6-8 weeks, then transition them into a smaller coop for a few weeks without a heating lamp and they can see the older girls and they get used to each other. Then I will add them in the big coop at night for a smoother transition. This process has worked for me numerous times but depending on your situation and setup it might be harder or easier!

I live in VA.. so the weather is as bipolar as a 14 year old. I will probably keep the little ones inside till they are fully feathered.. then ill stick them out in the coop. The mess is just a tad bit much sometimes, oh well, they are happy and that's all that matters. Thank you for the advice. :)

Last edited:
All my chicks are in a brooding cage inside our MASSIVE chicken house. They're in sight and smell of all our chickens.
After the chicks have some of their feathers we put them in the outside portion of our chicken pen while the older birds are out free ranging. We set up a heat light area for them to huddle under if they get cold.

Once they are about 4 weeks we move them into a cage on the ground with a brooding lamp. At 5 weeks we let them have short term meets with our hens (very gentle hens so never had an issue) at 6 weeks they meet our roo
at 7 weeks they are taken out of the cage and let free with the chickens. We still have a brooding light in a corner of the house so they can huddle under if they get to chilly.

By 8 weeks the light is taken out and they are fine.

Last edited:
Yes... see all my hens besides my EE are rather mean. My EE will go and generally let everyone know she is boss, but she does not peck, she strikes with her feed and puffs her neck feathers out. I have sections in my coop where the flock will see, and smell the other chickens before they are introduced. I usually let them see one another for up to two weeks and then let them all out together in the pen.
Before long, they generally accept new comers.. but right now I have a whole OTHER flock growing inside my house. Went a little chick crazy I suppose. Now racking my numbers up to 25 chickens.

Hoping it all goes smoothly, and I have one big happy flock. Thankfully no roosters in my pickings.. I am all tuckered out with just TWO. LOL.

Thank you, love all you do for your chickens and the steps you take. :)

oh man I didn't even think about that with the food....
My three girls are about 5 weeks old and have been in my house in a large dog crate. they are starting to get to big for the crate.
so I am hoping for no more snow so that they can start staying outside...Although I will miss them once they are out of the house.

Every flock is different my chickens you can just drop a new bird in there and they accept them right into the flock. Now other flocks may want to dismember them. It all depends on your chickens.

I am going thru this process of mixing young and old. I heard layer feed to young ones eating it causes kidney problems. oyster shell in a dish separate for the hens. Mine are 12 weeks. I'm using non medicated chick grower feed for all. Everybody okay with this for the moment. All my chicken are confined in a big coop. Course I made a duplex in my coop by adding a separate coop to the existing one. I have a brooding box built under my nesting box in the original coop. At the moment I have four generation of flocks one day to be together.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom