What Am I ??

so what goes wrong when they make it to pipping ,then die? I had a couple do this,,,,so disapointing. u wait all that time and then................
barnie.gif

Quote:
I think a lot of the time, this happens because the humidity is too low in the hatcher. The chick sticks to the inside of the shell, and is unable to turn inside the egg and unzip it's way out. Or, it's possible the bird is just not getting enough oxygen. And sometimes, they're just not strong enough, or healthy enough and are just too weak to do more than pip.

Last edited:
JMHO and I hate to say this , but handling/checking on the egg during the day before and day of hatching can't be good as it leads to a drop in humidity outside (and presumably inside) the egg causing the membranes to shrink and the chick to get stuck to the membranes.

I learn't the hard way, and now virtually never open the incubator during the last 3 days (ie from day 24 in California). And have higher hatch rates than I used to. I only "help" if an egg has pipped late ie day 28 (in Ca) or later, and has not progressed in 24 hours.

Some chicks that are weak or deformed get to hatch day and are just unable to hatch, which is natures way of keeping the species strong.

Last edited:
I want to thank you for your information....I am definately addicted to this site. I did put the baby under the heat light and it is now going on its 3rd day and I am happy to say doing just fine. Wow do I have alot more to learn. THANKS VERY MUCH.
lol.png

Quote:
If he is still having leg problems. do a search to find out what you need to do to fix. taping toes, or making shoes out of pipecleaners or use zipties or tape to help splay leg. good luck !!

I am so not ready to incubate! Have a large fear of the birds falling victim to my ignorance.

Maybe after a year or two of reading everything I can get my hands on and constant doses of this wonderful site, then I might be worthy enough to take the chance. Until then, best of luck to all you out there, and thank you to all those that know what we need to learn for sharing the knowledge.

Quote:
just curious what the (in CA ) is about.

Dont believe the state has anything to do with early hatching or piping. However if you are like me and most folks and run your bators at 100 instead of 99.5 they do indeed hatch 1 day early.
for every 1/2 degree hot you have it, you knock 1 day off the incubation period of eggs. every 1/2 degree cool you have it, it adds a day. Of course this only works for 1-2 increments, after that you just screw up your eggs from having the temp off too much.

Quote:
I was saying the same thing last year, then the beginning of this year. I was getting all worried that I would mess up and a peahen would do a better job especially after all the eggs I incubated last year didn't develop. Then this year I hatched out my first peachick, in fact we literally had to help it out of the shell because it wasn't pipping the right way, but my mom and I did it and I think you should go for it because if I didn't incubate that egg then I wouldn't have this cute little peachick that thinks I am its mommy.
smile.png

Quote:
just curious what the (in CA ) is about.

Dont believe the state has anything to do with early hatching or piping. However if you are like me and most folks and run your bators at 100 instead of 99.5 they do indeed hatch 1 day early.
for every 1/2 degree hot you have it, you knock 1 day off the incubation period of eggs. every 1/2 degree cool you have it, it adds a day. Of course this only works for 1-2 increments, after that you just screw up your eggs from having the temp off too much.

Just the folk in southern California seem to have their peachicks out out on day 26. Makes no real sense to me as the temp should determine it as you say. This just seems to be what happens. Maybe we all run the bators at 100
hu.gif

Phage's talking about how day 26 is the normal hatch date for some locations instead of the oft-mentioned 28 days for peafowl eggs. Generally it seems there is some tendency for them to hatch 26 days in the southern states, 28 in mid/northern states. I have no idea why that is. It's not temp. related as all eggs here(I'm in southern Calif too) hatch day 26, in incubator, partial natural/incubator or completely naturally, under chicken hens or peahens. It really seems normal for 'us', not early as it's so persistent and they hatch out normal and healthy.

Back
Top Bottom