What animal to keep with pet cow

tysonandperdue

In the Brooder
12 Years
Mar 25, 2007
New Jersey
Can anyone suggest what type of animal I can get to keep my pet cow company? My cow lives by herself. She has a big field and is housed in a large manger. Whatever I get would have to stay in the same housing with her. I feel bad that she had no other animal to keep her company. I do not want to get another cow. I'd like to get something smaller. Any ideas?

I do have horses but they are kept separated from her as I don't want to mix cows and horses together.

Thank you for any suggestions.

goat, or sheep - they are all ruminants (chew their cud) so they would probably get along ok. But as someone said - the best friend for a cow is another cow. Like horses, they get along best with their own species. Luckily, you can get a mini horse or pony, donkey or something else small to keep with a horse - they are still equine and equines bond with other equines. My horses like my sheep, though I think they would not be happy without horse-company.

molly

I actually always wanted a donkey. Do you really think I can mix a cow with a donkey?

1) Does anyone know if a MINATURE donkey would be okay to put with my cow?

2) Re Goat: I heard goats are great escape artists. Is there any type of goat that likes to stick around home and not try to escape.

As much as I love my pet cow, I don't want another cow. I just want something small to keep her company.

Thank you all for your wonderful suggestions.

Last edited:
My year old miniature Zebu bull will cuddle and clean the the two pygmy goats kept with him. Is your cow huge? wouldn't want it to step on something way smaller than itself.

Quote:
Yes you can mix donkeys with cattle with no problems. from what I have see minatures have more health issues then a reg.

As far as a goat if you have a good fence they wont get out a round or two of eletric fence will help alot. Good at home breeds are Nigerian Dwarf, Pygmy Goat, and nubians all work great also you can mlk nubians and have freash milk and butter.

Back
Top Bottom